Insurance searches on credit profile?

I've been looking at my Noddle and ClearScore credit reports and I've noticed hard searches that I'm unaware of and I'm wondering what they mean.

The majority of searches are 'Lexisnexis Risk Solutions Uk Limited - Insurance Quote - Www.Lexisnexis.Com/Ukconsumer' from May last year as well as a fair few in 2014 when I didn't have insurance of any kind?

I also have various searches from 'Aviva Central Services Limited' again for insurance throughout 2015 and 2014 that I don't hold nor have I looked into.

And then there's Barclaycard who every 3 months appear to be doing anti-money laundering searches for some reason, I understand anti-money laundering checks need to be carried out but every 3 months and a hard search no less is a bit much, right?

I presume that there's no way to get these off my searches but is there a way to stop future searches like this as while I've not made applications of credit, I have a warning of too many searches that I've not made personally and I'm worried about the next 6 months with a mortgage application coming up (we hope) so would like to get to the bottom of it.

Comments

• mcpitman
    mcpitman Posts: 1,267 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Barclaycard have never checked me after opening the account I have, and it's been open 14 years!

Are you an international money thief? LOL.

Have you visited any insurance comparison websites, even if it was "just to look" at costs rathet than taking policies out? If so, these could be the markers.

With regards to Aviva, do you have life or Private medical insurance at all?
    Life isn't about the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away. Like choking....
  • SLZ
    SLZ Posts: 233 Forumite
    mcpitman wrote: »
    Barclaycard have never checked me after opening the account I have, and it's been open 14 years!

Are you an international money thief? LOL.

Have you visited any insurance comparison websites, even if it was "just to look" at costs rathet than taking policies out? If so, these could be the markers.

With regards to Aviva, do you have life or Private medical insurance at all?
    Interesting Re: Barclaycard, I may need to call them and ask what's up as every 3 months is a little bit of a !!!! take considering that they're hard searches.

Ah I did once a long time ago but that surely doesn't warrant the multiple searches I got and continue to get when I'm not in the market for them?

I've got no life or private medical insurance, as far as I'm aware I have no products that could be tied to Aviva (at least not according to my profile).
  • GingerBob_3
    GingerBob_3 Posts: 3,659 Forumite
    Bear in mind that most organisations can blag you with a soft or hard search without your consent, even organisations with whom you have no business. It's a major failing of the CRA industry and it's condoned by the ICO.

When using comparison websites put in bogus but realistic data to start with. That's a good way of keeping many of the blaggers off the CRA files about you.
  • SLZ
    SLZ Posts: 233 Forumite
    GingerBob wrote: »
    Bear in mind that most organisations can blag you with a soft or hard search without your consent, even organisations with whom you have no business. It's a major failing of the CRA industry and it's condoned by the ICO.

When using comparison websites put in bogus but realistic data to start with. That's a good way of keeping many of the blaggers off the CRA files about you.
    Ah I didn't know that, thanks for letting me know. What kind of bogus but realistic info do you mean, change name but keep DOB, address the same or is it something else?
  • GingerBob_3
    GingerBob_3 Posts: 3,659 Forumite
    SLZ wrote: »
    Ah I didn't know that, thanks for letting me know. What kind of bogus but realistic info do you mean, change name but keep DOB, address the same or is it something else?

Yes, change name, use an address in your street and a DoB very close to your own. That usually takes care of it. Some punters will tell you that if you do this you won't get results back because the blaggers carry out an identity check with the CRAs, but in my experience using bogus data along these lines does not limit the results.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure