Specsavers rubbish service

Options
Right, so I've got these specs I bought from Specsavers (first mistake I know). Paid extra for frames with spring hinges (much easier to get on under a motorcycle crash helmet).

One of the springs stopped working, so I took them back. "Out of warranty" quoth they. "I don't care" was my response, "I paid a lot of money for these and I want them fixed - at your expense".

"OK, OK", they grumbled, "we'll see if we can get it authorised. But it can't be repaired and we don't do those frames any more, so we'll have to see if another branch has any left. We'll call you tomorrow."

Which they didn't. Not the next day. Nor the day after. Nor at all, to date. So, thinks I, if the frames are u.s. anyway then before I waste more of my time traipsing back to the shop I'll remove the screw from the hinge and see what's what. Which I did, and all looked well. No bits of broken spring fell out, everything looked hunky-dory. So I put the screw back in, and whaddya know, it's springy again! Then I tightened the screw right up and, hey presto, no spring! So out comes the screw again, a bit of thread lock applied to the threads, and back in it goes, being careful not to tighten too much. And all is well!

My theory? Over the couple of years I've owned the specs the repeated in-out movement of the arm caused the screw to tighten up slightly, and it just needed backing off a bit. "Can't be repaired" said Specsavers. Muppets.

Comments

• pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My local Specsavers gives great service.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • dazster
    dazster Posts: 502 Forumite
    Options
    Oh right, I guess I imagined all this then.
  • d70cw6
    d70cw6 Posts: 784 Forumite
    Options
    thanks for the whimsical tale of your life with your glasses.
    no really.

• giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,558 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Well it is possible you got an unhelpful/unknowledgeable person and that is the explanation rather than all the staff at all branches of Specsavers are useless. But you probably wouldn't want to consider that possibility.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Branches of Specsavers vary hugely. Fortunately my local branch is great.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I don't buy glasses from them anymore, as I need thinner, lighter lenses which work out much cheaper from Asda,but in the past they have been very helpful.

They twice replaced lost screws, free of charge and once,when I accidentally sat on an obsolete pair and broke one of the arms, they found a pair of suitable arms and fitted them for £5, saving me a £70 replacement cost.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My inlaws local branch told use that wheelchair access was not a problem, MIL was wheelchair bound and could barely manage a few steps.

Got there to be told that the examination room was downstairs. We then had to drive around trying to get an appointment for her that day.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My inlaws local branch told use that wheelchair access was not a problem, MIL was wheelchair bound and could barely manage a few steps.

Got there to be told that the examination room was downstairs. We then had to drive around trying to get an appointment for her that day.
    A poster says they do home visits for disabled people.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure