Help with Monopoly Rules..My family are ripping me off..

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Gaming MoneySaving
20 replies 5.6K views
Aubrey_ThicketAubrey_Thicket Forumite
299 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Gaming MoneySaving
Alright this isn't technically moneysaving but it will greatly help me out... (OH, BTW this is a bit of fun)

I need some urgent advice because I am furious at my Wife and kids! They all ganged up on me and they think it is really funny but I can't sleep at night (OK, may be a slight exaggeration) because I think they have mugged me.

Here is the problem.

So, Me (Father, 45 years old), Mother (40 years), Daughter (14 years) & son (13 years) were all playing a mammoth game of Monopoly. After about 3 hours it was clear that the only winners would be either me or my son (judged on the amount of cash and complete property sets we both owned). We were about neck and neck with cash, but I was better off with properties/houses/hotels etc. So, it comes to my Wife's turn and she is made bankrupt. So, it's now down to Three players (me my son and my daughter). The inevitable happens and Daughter lands on Mayfair and can't afford to pay my son (who owns the complete set with Hotels on). Then my Wife butts in and tells the daughter to GIFT all her properties to my Son. I argued and said that wasn't fair so my daughter and Mother (by the way, by this time Mother was already out of the game) then agreed that Daughter should SELL all the Daughters properties and assets to my son for £1. Yes, just £1. I argued but Daughter just did it. This then gave my son a huge advantage and he went on to win. I was FURIOUS. Surely this is not right? I was going to win and now my wife and kids have conned me. Come on people help me out. Surely they can't do this?

Ok, before anybody tells me to chill, this is a bit of fun and tongue in cheek. I plan to show the kids and Wife the responses so (if your answers agree with me then feel free to be VERY critical of them. I have refused to play any more family board games until this dispute is resolved.

Replies

• glentoran99glentoran99 Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Surely when you make someone bankrupt you get all there stuff? isn't that the rules?
  • I have tried reading the rules but to us it's not 100% Clear. So, are you saying that when my Daughter landed on my Sons Mayfair (with Hotels) and she couldn't afford the £1,000 then she then gives my son everything she owns?
  • HappyMJHappyMJ Forumite
    21.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have tried reading the rules but to us it's not 100% Clear. So, are you saying that when my Daughter landed on my Sons Mayfair (with Hotels) and she couldn't afford the £1,000 then she then gives my son everything she owns?
    When you owe rent you can do anything you need to to raise the cash. Selling the hotels and houses back to the bank for half value, mortgaging the properties or selling the properties without hotels or houses on them to other players are all valid methods of raising cash.

She can sell the properties to the highest bidder which could be anyone it doesn't have to be the player she owes the money to but she's got to get enough to pay the debt to stay in the game. If she can't sell her properties for enough she can hand them to the person she owes the money to and retires from the game. The purchaser has to pay 10% interest of the mortgage value to the bank and can either pay the principal of the mortgage to unmortgage them or can keep them mortgaged and unmortgage at a later time.

If you owe the bank money and can't pay the amount required then she would hand the properties back to the bank and they are immediately auctioned off to the highest bidder. The bank keeps the money raised.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • dont believe there is a gift option in monopoly. could be wrong.
  • PasturesNewPasturesNew Forumite
    70.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    In Monopoly, when you go bankrupt, all your stuff goes back to the bank. Back in the box. It was game over on the landing of the dice. No options to gift anything.... it's all swept straight back into the box.

They're cheating - it's not in the rules to do what they're doing.

In real life if you went bankrupt and gave away your money and property after you'd been declared bankrupt it'd be fraud and you'd go to jail forever .... and they'd have to hand back the cash/property immediately. It's the same with the game. No longer your money/property, it's instantaneously the bank's.
  • glentoran99glentoran99 Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    In Monopoly, when you go bankrupt, all your stuff goes back to the bank. Back in the box. It was game over on the landing of the dice. No options to gift anything.... it's all swept straight back into the box.

They're cheating - it's not in the rules to do what they're doing.

In real life if you went bankrupt and gave away your money and property after you'd been declared bankrupt it'd be fraud and you'd go to jail forever .... and they'd have to hand back the cash/property immediately. It's the same with the game. No longer your money/property, it's instantaneously the bank's.

But you could give the stuff to the person making you bankrupt to pay your debt, the money isn't owed to the bank so the bank have to reclaim on it

You can sell your properties to who you like for as much as you like, so if its the person you owe the money too you are selling them for the price you actually owe them.
  • JasXJasX Forumite
    4K Posts
    HappyMJ has it right, the rules of the game can be found here:

http://www.hasbro.com/common/instruct/00009.pdf

And this is all detailed at the top of page 8. Looking the rule book is a good way to resolve game rules questions :)

PasturesNew, I have no idea what they are on and why they would try and cheat someone on a forum over game rules. They are completely incorrect as per the written rules.

Your son won fair and square I am afraid, whoever your wife went bankrupt to should have gained everything she had of value in the process too.
  • Looks like I lost then. Am gutted. Horrible feeling when your kids beat you at a business game and you're a business man! There's no way I'm telling them though. Just planning on letting this disappear silently.

Thanks all. Need to buy a board game where the odds are tipped in my favour. Think I might go out and buy the Super hard version of Trivial Pursuit.
  • settlers of catan ftw
  • preablepreable Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    Debt-free and Proud! Mortgage-free Glee!
    They scammed you call Rich Uncle Pennybags and complain that they mugged you asap
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals