We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Getting rid of a pond

Options
Having moved in twelve months ago, we've now decided to get rid of the small pond in our garden. It's some sort of (I presume) plastic tub that's been put into the ground and filled.

A few weeks ago, I scooped out water with a bucket. There was some frogspawn in this. I also knocked a few holes with a long screwdriver to drain the water out but rainfall has meant it's started filling up and plants are growing. I swear there's a few tadpoles in there too.

There seems to be a six inch thick layer of soil into which the pond plants are growing. It's too heavy for me to lift out and appears to be knitted together like a thick carpet. I can't seem to break itup with a spade.

I thought I could just dig out the soil/plants and then lift out the empty tub (having removed surrounding stone slabs) but it doesn't seem to be straightforward.

What am I doing wrong?
Should I use anything to make sure the pond is devoid of life?

The plan would be to remove the pond, fill the hole and lay some turf or maybe just grass seed.

Comments

• andrewf75
    andrewf75 Posts: 10,421 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Not a great time to get rid of it if there is frogspawn in there. You should do this kind of thing in winter really, then it will be easy.
    Do you have any neighbours with a pond? You could transfer the frogspawn to theirs - or even advertise on gumtree or similar and someone may help out

Personally, I'd just leave it til Autumn and then do it.
  • spasguidedogs
    Options
    I am just in the process of installing a pond for wildlife, if you are near Shropshire I would be willing to take your tadpoles.
  • d0nkeyk0ng
    d0nkeyk0ng Posts: 873 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I should have done it earlier but had other things to contend with. Neighbours either side don't have a pond though I haven't asked further afield. spasguidedogs - I'm in Solihull. Probably too far.
  • no1catman
    no1catman Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Do you have the 'local' social media covering your area - www.streetlife.com ?

If so you may find someone local who can help.
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
  • spasguidedogs
    Options
    Hi donkeykong, I am in Telford, so probably too far.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure