Decking Oil or Stain

Options
Morning all,

Was hoping to get this done today, but now I'm thinking twice, despite the great weather, so any quick answers much appreciated before today is gone.

We moved house a few months ago, it has a large decking area which looked neglected. So I've cleaned up most of it, using Ronseal deck cleaner and jet wash.

However I've finding myself torn between going for Oil & Stain. I guess I'm just unsure whether older decking will take oil well enough? Plus I've heard that the stains tend to flake after a year or 2, requiring strip and redoing. Whereas the Oil can be topped up and fades evenly.

I bought a couple of tins of Cuprinol Anti Slip Decking Stain, but now I'm thinking twice about putting a colour stain down.

I'm thinking that Sadolin Decking Oil would be better.

Here are a few of pictures of the condition, including a few close ups of the worst of it, though most seems fine. I will be sanding the remaining patch, though not sure how to remove it from within the grooves, as the jetwash didn't shift it.

Any thoughts and advice on those who've chosen either way, Stain vs Oil?

My images don't seem to be showing, but here's the link to the pictures.

Thanks.

fc9CEJM.jpgzR88ysj.jpg
9jI79PG.jpg4X31TBi.jpg
koJi2W9.jpg2gwdPuQ.jpg
zwT19Cq.jpg

Comments

• DRP
    DRP Posts: 4,280 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Neither! once you start treating exterior wood ,you'll have to do it every year!
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,911 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Indoors, oiled wood looks glorious, takes more abuse & can be sanded then re-oiled as needed. That's the kitchen table though, not decking.

Decking you really want to start with pretreated wood. Can you make a 'feature' using targeted patterned staining? Seems a shame not to use what you've got, this being MS & all, but in matters aesthetic, only you can judge.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure