Is Gumtree a good place to sell things on?

Options
Hi everyone,
I keep hearing about Gumtree but don't know anything about it.
Is it a good idea to sell something via this? What are the fees like.
All answers are welcome. X
Thanks guys. :)
:smileyheaMagenta

Comments

• theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There are no fees. Advertise, customer picks up and pays cash. There are lots of scammers and they nearly all want you to post it to them. Don't.
  • Brooker_Dave
    Brooker_Dave Posts: 5,196 Forumite
    Options
    Magenta wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    I keep hearing about Gumtree but don't know anything about it.
    Is it a good idea to sell something via this? What are the fees like.
    All answers are welcome. X
    Thanks guys. :)

Good for washing machines and fridges, or cars, but never take paypal only bank transfer and cash.

Messers galore though, never rearrange your life for a collection.
    "Love you Dave Brooker! x"

"i sent a letter headded sales of god act 1979"
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,090 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I sold my car via Gumtree and other than a few time waster messages, it sold without problems. Buyer was genuine and paid by bank transfer once he had established I was genuine.

I believe no shows can be a problem though.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • Ting-Tang
    Ting-Tang Posts: 129 Forumite
    Options
    I'd agree with all of the above.
    I find that as long as you are asking a fair price for stuff, then it does sell - maybe not quickly, but eventually.
  • cheekyvimto
    cheekyvimto Posts: 122 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have had a few sales on Gumtree but as I don't give my phone number I find the majority of emails I receive about the items often come to nothing. Bit annoying really, do they suddenly lose interest between sending me a message and me replying? (I don't leave it too long to reply either!)
    Sealed pot challenge: number 083
  • 19lottie82
    19lottie82 Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You will ALWAYS get potential buyers trying to Hugo's you down on price, so it's usually a good idea to put the advertised price higher than the minimum amount you will accept.

I tend to use gumtree over eBay when an item is too large / expensive to post.
  • in_the_Cotswolds
    Options
    I've used Gumtree to sell a dining table and chairs. Put it on Gumtree about 10am sold and collected about 4pm same day. Couldn't believe how fast it sold. However I've had cars on there and they haven't sold. It very much depends on what you are selling and as in the case of the table and chairs someone was looking for them.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Lots of time wasters who want you to deliver for free
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,208 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 21 April 2016 at 8:28AM
    Options
    hollydays wrote: »
    Lots of time wasters who want you to deliver for free

Also a surprising number of buyers who have a friend in the area and want them to collect that day and who will pay by PayPal so seller gets a quick sale. PayPal payment is made, man with a van turns up with a list of addresses - and NO idea what he is collecting as you are just another sucker on the list, you hand over your stuff and the money is charge backed back the next day.

Just remembered one that I had many years ago. I was selling a tea set and part dinner service, wasn't overly valuable, no more than £20 or so and not worth packing if I had sold on eBay. Put it on gumtree as cash on collection and got an offer of £15 which I accepted. Buyer then spent almost two weeks, checking my address for collection, asking for more photos , asking for measurements etc. Then she failed to collect twice after I Waited in. She then admitted she was relying on a lift to collect but that I was the other side of London and she hadn't realised how difficult it was to get to me. She ended up suggesting that we meet half way to make it fair at a service station on the M25 about a 30 mile round trip for me!

She thought I was very unreasonable when I said no and stopped responding to her emails and phone calls.

I sold it on Facebook eventually but only got £10 for the lot and it went to another dealer.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Stevie_Palimo
    Stevie_Palimo Posts: 3,306 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I always add on my posts for Gumtree no scammers, emails or offers of paypal will be accepted, Then when they contact you I just say read the advert again and do one.

To be honest for cars Gumtree is over priced now and Autotrader is £4.95 against the minimum £14.95 on Gumtree I believe.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure