MSE News: Primark voted ‘most loathed’ retailer as Aldi tops the list for ‘most loved

Comments

• mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,852
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Aldi issue thousands of £100 parking charge notices every month.
    Lets see how popular they are in 12 months when all these bargain hunters have been fleeced for a few.

They have issued them for years and clearly it makes no difference to the vast majority who use their stores.
  • Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,943
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Forumite
    mjm3346 wrote: »
    They have issued them for years and clearly it makes no difference to the vast majority who use their stores.
    Some people don't mind being fleeced. We (moneysavers) do. :)
  • theblagger
    theblagger Posts: 2,027
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    TrustyOven wrote: »
    I don't understand why people loathe Tesco....

Hence the poll is useless because there's no qualitative information.

You don't understand why people hate tesco...Seriously..?
    I refer to my byline below ...

Ad hominem
    An attack upon an opponent in order to discredit their arguement or opinion. Ad hominems are used by immature and/or unintelligent people because they are unable to counter their opponent using logic and intelligence.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,385
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    kerri_gt wrote: »
    Quantitative data has limited use without Qualitative insight.

Couldn't' agree more. Such a poll just produces statistics that mean nothing.

Pretty typical of pointless threads started by mse people. I don't know why they do it, surely there are enough genuine ones started by 'real' posters.
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Aldi most loved you must be having a laugh. I suppose it is a poll and I do note they have a fairly high most loathed figure too of 7%. Sorry but they aren't my favourite retailer by any means. Parking charges have put me off them in the past yes I've had a ticket sent to me, appealed and withdrawn but it wasted my time doing so. Previously they were one of the few supermarkets charging for plastic bags which put me off but now I sell my used bags to another supermarket so I'm not so bothered about paying for bags now as I get my money back for them and effectively do not pay for bags, previously they did not accept credit cards which put me off but they do accept them now. I've only just started returning to them by walking there and buying just a few of the cheapest and best items they have that I can carry in my hands. The customer service really put me off. There's just about always a queue at the checkout and if there isn't a queue they wait usually elsewhere packing shelves until you've put everything on the belt before returning to the checkout to start to scan the items. They never offer to help bag the items preferring to scan at double quick speed whilst I'm trying to bag them up and no I do not use a trolley so cannot bag at the bench. The staff never offer to walk you to an item that you cannot find in store vaguely pointing at an aisle or cabinet saying "it's over there".

The only positive about Aldi in my opinion is the lack of branded goods available making the supermarket own brand item the only choice bringing down the cost of a weekly shop significantly. The own brand item available is usually of a better quality item than the cheapest own brand items available in most other supermarkets some items in Aldi almost on a par with some branded items.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,846
    Forumite
    I'm not an unquestioning fan of the big two German supermarkets, either but in addition the the low prices they offer, they have also had a tremendous effect on the rest of the supermarket scene here in the UK.

Even if you don't choose to shop at Aldi or Lidl, their presence in the British market has forced their rivals to curtail some of their blatant scams and rip-offs.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I'm baffled as to how people get parking tickets in an Aldi car park !
  • TrustyOven
    TrustyOven Posts: 746
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    theblagger wrote: »
    You don't understand why people hate tesco...Seriously..?

Never had a problem at tesco.
    Never a bad experience.
    All the products seem to be in the right place (unlike Asda where I am constantly trying to find the correct location for goods).
    Lots of cheap stuff, lots of expensive stuff, so it covers a range of demographics.
    Parking's no problem.
    They do decent petrol stations, not like Asda which sometimes just has a small drive-by kiosk.
    Tesco Fuel Save.
    Tesco bank accounts. Clubcards.

I don't understand the hate towards Tesco.

But maybe it's the vocal few that complain about Tesco... case in point... theblagger didnt even mention why anyone should hate them, but made it out like I was a total fool, for not knowing why people hate tesco.
    Goals
    Save £12k in 2017 #016 (£4212.06 / £10k) (42.12%)
    Save £12k in 2016 #041 (£4558.28 / £6k) (75.97%)
    Save £12k in 2014 #192 (£4115.62 / £5k) (82.3%)
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,846
    Forumite
    [QUOTE=TrustyOven;70535086

I don't understand the hate towards Tesco.

[/QUOTE]

You mean despite the number of times Tesco has been cited for the horrible way it treats it suppliers? The countless 'Bogoffs' 'Twofers', 'offers' and 'deals' that turn out to be scams? The fact that so many of its processed meat products use the cheap imported meat when most others have switched to UK-sourced meat? The rotten attitude of so many of its demoralised staff? The way it has metastasised and helped drive smaller stores and even entire high streets out of business?

After hubris comes nemesis - and not before time.
  • Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,943
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Forumite
    meer53 wrote: »
    I'm baffled as to how people get parking tickets in an Aldi car park !

Simple really - the private parking company has an incentive to be less than truthful about how long vehicles have been in the car park. In many of these cases, people will simply pay £40 for exceeding an arbitrary maximum period.

Aldi and Parking Eye then decide among themselves who gets what share of the proceeds.

That's how people get parking tickets in an Aldi car park.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure