Council Tax whilst volunteering overseas

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Student Money Saving
4 replies 1.7K views
allofushereallofushere Forumite
182 Posts
Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Student Money Saving
My daughter completes her degree this summer and before her lease on her student accommodation ends, she leaves for Nicaragua for three months. Her student lease finishes mid July and she will leave the country at the end of June. On her return she starts her MA, in the same town she did her degree, a week later.

Will I have to declare her as living at home (ie home address) for the time she is in Nicaragua?

I'm asking here first because i don't want to open a can of worms with the council tax people.....

Replies

• [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I can't see why you would have to tell them she is living at home when she isn't, what an adult does is upto them, you only need to tell them she is living with you when she is.
    HTP
  • macmanmacman Forumite
    48.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I presume you are concerned about losing your single person discount, as there will be no impact if there are already two or more adults living in the property?
    But, as above, why do you think there is any change in liability if she is not living with you?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • allofushereallofushere Forumite
    182 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    macman wrote: »
    I presume you are concerned about losing your single person discount, as there will be no impact if there are already two or more adults living in the property?
    But, as above, why do you think there is any change in liability if she is not living with you?

Because she has bank post sent to my address. I had an almighty tussle with the council earlier this year because they 'allegedly' said they had evidence that my daughter was living at my address as some of her post was still going there.
  • greensaladgreensalad Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    venison wrote: »
    I can't see why you would have to tell them she is living at home when she isn't, what an adult does is upto them, you only need to tell them she is living with you when she is.
    HTP

It's funny because a lot of councils don't seem to see it that way. I left for uni and from 2nd year onwards never lived at home again (not even for summer holidays) and then moved in with my boyfriend straight after I finished exams. The council refused to remove me from my Mum's council tax until I proved to them I was paying council tax elsewhere. They did give her the single person discount, but I was still marked as an exempt person on her council tax, even when being marked as exempt also at uni.

I remember her getting very frustrated trying to ask the council tax office why I was still listed as living with her when I didn't live there at all. Like I said, eventually I managed to get off her CTax bill when I sent a CTax bill from my own council.

This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides