Refund onto credit card and DRO

Options
AmyL
AmyL Posts: 22 Forumite
I am currently applying for a DRO. My credit card accounts have been frozen and cannot be used. I bought a washing machine on one of the credit cards over a year ago from Homebase/Argos. It had problems from the start and has been repaired twice and replaced once, all under the guarantee, then it broke down again. They said to me i had the option of repair or i could give it back and get a refund. I told them my situation with the credit card and that they wouldn't be able to refund me back onto it because i would loose the money and not be able to buy another one. I was told that it would be fine for them to issue me a cheque instead. So i agreed for the refund. They collected the washing machine and then i called to get the refund issued, then i was told that it would have to go back on my card i bought it with. I explained the situation and what i had been told. I had by then spoken to the credit card company who said i would loose the money because it would go onto the account but i could not use the card and so not to do it. I was told by Argos it was not possible to get a cheque, it had to be refunded onto the credit card. Now the manager has said the same. I wouldn't have agreed to a refund if i had known this, it was only because i was told i could get a cheque. I have told them i would be happy for a replacement machine of the same price, so far they are saying no but it is being referred to another manager right now. I just wondered what my rights were with this, anyone know?

Comments

• Johnsmith2016
    Options
    Rather than a refund - can you not ask them for a replacment now due to the fact they cannot issue a cheque like they promised? If your only going to use the cheque to buy a new one of similar value anyway i would just take a replacment. Cant see them saying no to an exchange over a refund.
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,391 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    well in effect you haven't paid for it, look at it this way - you got to use it for free for however many months. I'm pretty sure the consumer credit act and the terms and conditions of your credit card dictate that refunds must go back to the account purchased on when possible.
  • NectarCollector
    Options
    the reason stores will only refund onto the card that made the original purchase in the first place is to keep any risk of potential fraud to a minimum.

(example: person 1 buys expensive item with stolen debit/credit card, wants a refund in cash. person 1 then has stolen card and cash, person 2 (owner of card) gets a statement with expensive purchase on.)

I think store credit/exchange will be your only options
    #141 - Save £3k in 2016 challenge - #141
    Current savings: £901.06 / £3k
    =======================
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories