Student accommodation in Cardiff

Options
A few questions on student accommodation in Cardiff for you!!

What’s the going rate for rent these days? Is it possible to pay half rent over the summer months? Do you pay June-to-June or just September to June?

Thanks for the info…..

Comments

• pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    normal approach at most uni towns is either a retainer (lump sum of a few hundred quid) and/or rent for the summer period at half the normal weekly rent

i believe in this neck of the woods, you'd be looking at between £40-60 quid per week, depending on how upmarket you go
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • pin
    pin Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    When I was there back in the day (well about 5 years ago now, man can't believe its been that long) some places had the choice of paying Sept till May/June, others would be May/June - May/June with half rent over the summer period.

This worked out well as you could leave all your stuff in the flat without having to cart it all the way back home. Also worked out for those (like me) who worked in Cardiff over the summer months.
    "An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind" - Mahatma Gandhi
  • wilsons
    wilsons Posts: 87 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the info guys. Just out of interest what months do you get charged half rent? June, July and August? July, August and Sept? Or maybe only two months half rent?

As always, thanks for the help.
  • pin
    pin Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think it really depends on the landlord (that was experience from myself and others when I used to be there).
    "An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind" - Mahatma Gandhi
  • lellie
    lellie Posts: 1,489 Forumite
    Options
    Usually leases begin from July 1st for private accomodation (halls start a couple days before freshers week and end the last day of term..) So you might have 3 weeks between halls finishing and your new contract starting.

As for half rent. Over the summer you can usually pay half rent (july, august, only I think.. perhaps september as well if you get a nice landlord) ONLY if you, or noone else is staying in the house/flat over the holidays. Usually if someone will remain in the house - ALL of you will be charged full rent.

I'm staying in my new flat over the summer - but also have to stay in halls a couple extra weeks inbetween the new contract starting and the old finishing (most universities will allow you to do this but you might have to move rooms)
  • mrsjacksparrow
    Options
    My student friends rent a house in Cardiff with Pinnacle estate agents, and they pay half rent during the summer (not sure what months are included sorry) whether someone is staying there or not.
    Can't really help with anything else I'm afraid, but hope that helps :)
    I think we've all arrived at a very special place. Spiritually, ecumenically... grammatically.
  • hr4033
    Options
    You could risk it and go to cardiff a few weeks before term starts to look for houses and avoid paying for the summer that way. Other than that if you have a wander around Cathays (City Rd etc) the student accomodation offices normally do half rent for the summer so long as you don't get caught living there. WARNING! Don't go to the accomodation office that's on the same street at "The Social" and "gassy Jacks"! I've forgotten what it's calle but the owner is well dody. Last I heard he fled the country because of fraud but is back now, and he always visits the houises without warning, which is actually against the law. I think you can get houses for about 200 a month if there's about 8 of you. ope that helps?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure