Extending our house without extending ourselves beyond our means

Comments

• PurpleFairy26
    PurpleFairy26 Posts: 3,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Morning all, day two of a loooong week here. Little chance of any exercise before Saturday here Brizzle and that's slim as I'm away again and lots of 'planned' fun happening by the organiser it seems so not sure if I'll have any free time. I'll see, hopefully I can squeeze something in. Just realised how sad that makes me feel.

No change in banking, so made small TT today :T will aim for some more by end of week if it's still looking healthy. Could do with knowing when they plan on paying DH for second job, they're so disorganised it's untrue.

Going to get some burgers out of the freezer for tea, we can have them with home grown potatoes that's I do hassleback style for a change I think. Give me something to look forward to during my tedious meeting :rotfl:

Right, must get on. Purps.
  • brizzledfw
    brizzledfw Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    How's it going? Pretty feeble this week...one class only...and largely took bus or car to work...:( Need to step up a bit to be honest

Hope you're doing well x
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal :D
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%] :T
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista:rotfl::T
  • PurpleFairy26
    Hey Brizzle just one 5k this week but I managed it outside in glorious surrounding and didn't stop :T so focusing on small wins :) crazy busy week (again) and for weeks have been focusing on getting to tonight as it's been non stop for the last three weeks. Hope now I'm here it doesn't disappoint ;)

Lots of juggling, like others, for the next 6 weeks of schools hols but have it all planned out, just two more days to fix, will send an email shortly to request those. Will be paying childcare but I don't have any other choice. Oh well, it could be worse. I think I'm paying for 17 days between 2 of them over 6 weeks, so appreciate it could be a lot worse.

Managed a very frugal weekend away (if you ignore the hideaous cost that was outside of my control for going :o) I took a bottle of gifted wine, drank lots of tap water (including whilst out) and treated myself to a slice of cake whilst out. However, I saw lots of 'money not really an object' behaviour this weekend which didn't please me. Made me realise how frugal I have become.

Dig up another tub of spuds when I got home and we had some for tea, will probably make and freeze a veggie curry with the rest as that was lovely last week. Another frugal week planned food wise, meals planned and shop done, maybe just some milk and fruit at the end of the week. If I could stretch £15 out until Friday that would make me happy.

It's not payday until Friday which seems ages away, given that DH hasn't been paid from his second job. I'll see if there is anything we can do to speed it along.

Got two late birthday presents this weekend, both lovely and an unexpected surprise :D

Trying to cash out survey voucher and it doesn't like my address, despite it not changing form when I've used it before, will try again later/tomorrow

Sold a fleabay item, will post tomorrow

Also think I've sold my old lounge curtains and 5 cushions, however, lady keeps messaging me with various random questions. Not sure how that's going to pan out. Would be nice for them to be gone out of the spare room. And the money to LPDF :A
  • Kittenkirst
    Kittenkirst Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Good work with all your running, sounds like you do similar distances to me :)

I'm very envious of your spud growing too, they sound delicious!
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • PurpleFairy26
    Hey kittenkirst thanks for popping by, potatoes were so easy, so glad I made the (little) effort. Hardest thing was drilling holes in the bottom of two repurposed broken washing baskets :o they taste delish too ;) definitely on my list for next year, with a few other things. I've planted beetroot in one now empty tub that I'd grown from seed in another and now planted spring onions in the other. Fingers crossed.

I think we are in the same neck of the woods too KK I'll swing by your diary soon I promise

In other news spent an hour and a half with a man today that will probably be the most expensive 90 minutes ever :A we finally have engaged an architect :T ok, he's not that expensive, in fact very reasonable, about 1/4 of what I had estimated, however he will produce a piece of paper that will be the most expensive piece ever (well until we get our deeds when MF ;))

Glad we had draft plans drawn by DH friend, even if not quite right as it saved my scetching skills :rotfl: he thought our plans were very sensible, doable and threw in a couple of questions of his own to get the grey matter going :D

To celebrate we had egg, chips and beans for tea :T for a split second I contemplated going out for tea but on day 1 of the hols that would have been a slippery slope I feel and not good for frugal July :rotfl:

In other house news, DH has contacted that Swedish place about replacing part of the wardrobe that broke during assembly, we could have bodged it, but frankly why would we when they're going to be fitted. It would just annoy me for ever. Let's hope they feel the same way.

Our hoover has gone to electrical heaven, it'll either not switch on or if you get it to stay on, you can't switch it off. Considering its length of service and it's cost per use we've definitely had our money's worth. Was going to go second hand but been researching new ones. Need to order one soon, stairs are desperate :o despite cost of new one, hoping a decent one will maybe give the carpet on the stairs and landing a year or so until the extension is finished and we can just have a new one then. Or maybe that's just me trying to put a positive spin on it :rotfl: I'll keep you posted.
  • brizzledfw
    Debt-free and Proud!
    All sounding lively PF!! All good, well done.

DD2 off now and Dd1 from tomorrow....so that's my housework covered then.. :rotfl:
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista:rotfl::T
  • brizzledfw
    Debt-free and Proud!
    PS I was trying to be ironic....they're not bad but certainly there is rarely spontaneity, one has to ask...
  • mfmaybe
    mfmaybe Posts: 1,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    All very exciting PF! But can I suggest a cheap Hoover until building works are finished? More Dysons are killed by plaster dust than any other cause ;)
    0% card was £1126.91 / Now £1502.37

AFD March 2/15 NSD March 2/11 :T

Other debts paid since 1/1/14: £17,005
  • PurpleFairy26
    mfmaybe wrote: »
    All very exciting PF! But can I suggest a cheap Hoover until building works are finished? More Dysons are killed by plaster dust than any other cause ;)

Not a bad shout, thank you. We already have a hand me down from a relative that we use to clean up from building stuff we've had done already but I'd forgotten about it as we haven't done anything for a few months.

Brizzle hopefully the DDs might get 'trained' at some point to be spontaneous if that's even possible. At least the fact they do it sometimes is better than nowt :)

Managed another 5k last night and an enjoyable relax in the sauna after as I was the only one in there. Showered at the gym too to save my water :D hoping for another over the weekend but a busy one coming up so we'll see.

It's payday here :j about to do the money shuffle to various pots before work, so will be back with a monthly update.
  • brizzledfw
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Bring it on....I do love a monthly update :T

Class this eve. Felt good despite getting soaked in this crazy weather..

Xx
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback