Getting a Grip and Saving towards the mortgage

Options

Comments

• michelle09
    michelle09 Posts: 912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Busy_Mee1 wrote: »
    Paid £80 in 20 p coins to bank along with refund cheque.

Bet they loved you. :rotfl:

The joys of company phoning, well done with the Sky though. It just intensely irritates me that you have to play this game in order to get a good deal.
  • try_harder
    try_harder Posts: 1,527 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good to hear that things are going well . I never get any joy when i call BT lately to say that i will be leaving so i am stuck with them as i dont want all the hassle of changing when i am very happy with the service they provide just wish it was slightly cheaper.
  • Busy_Mee1
    Busy_Mee1 Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Options
    So this morning I have braved the scales of doom and can report that I put 4 lb on over Christmas :eek:. This is not the worst weight gain I have ever had, but it is clearly not good either. I still haven’t made the gym this week, but I have got out walking and increased my step count. I have more or less stuck to the 16:8 diet this week, there was only one morning where I needed to eat before 10 or I was likely to rip someone’s head off :rotfl:. I need to get focussed now and get some weight shifted before we go away at the end of Feb.

Not much MS news, I ordered some new boots from N3xt for £46 but then saw some identical ones in the Cl@rks outlet for £30 so got those instead. Other than that it has been NSDs.

The fireplace company rang me yesterday and I said that we don’t dislike the fireplace ( I didn’t tell them that I love,love,love it !) and that it would be a waste to have to knock it out and redo it. I would therefore be happy to keep it if they would do us a bit of a deal on it. They are going to ring me back....

We have a busy weekend, I need to clean up this morning and then we are visiting the outlaws this afternoon. The kids are coming too as they didn’t manage to see their Grandparents over Christmas for various reasons. Tomorrow we need to do the shopping and then we have the long drive over to see the elderly Step- Parent and do a few admin tasks with him.

Thanks for popping in everyone ( and Michelle I bagged up the 20ps, so they only needed weighing :rotfl:)
  • michelle09
    michelle09 Posts: 912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I suspect if you hadn't then they would have given you bags to sort them anyway.

Well done on the boots. I detest Clarkes (not necessarily their fault, I had a vaguely traumatic experience there nearly 20 years ago) but that is a seriously good discount.

Am sure the weight will come down quickly again, no point dwelling on it. :)
  • try_harder
    Options
    Morning Busy Mee1 .Hows everything going weight wise ,gym wise ? Its good that you are getting out for some nice walks ,do you do that before you go to work or in your breaks .
    Looking forward to your update
  • Kittenkirst
    Kittenkirst Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hope the gym motivation is holding out Busymee1 :)
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • Busy_Mee1
    Options
    So I woke up this morning with a very bad case of the miseries and then I read that today is Blue Monday the day of the year when more people feel down than any other day.

However as the day has worn on the miseries have lifted and it has turned out to be quite a good day.

Firstly tahdah ......I have been to the gym for the first time in weeks. I did a body pump class and ran on the treadmill for 10 minutes and I feel GREAT! Why, oh why have I not been able to motivate myself to go before now...I know it lifts my mood and generally makes me feel better about myself. So that is it now, I need to get going again regularly.

Secondly, we have both just received emails to say we have been awarded £250 each for switching to the Clydesdale Bank. £500 for a little bit of effort on my holiday :j:j I will be putting it towards our next holiday.

All in all more of a Yellow Monday after all x
  • try_harder
    Options
    Ah lovely to see you and even better to hear you so upbeat ,yes definitely keep up the gym it makes you feel so much happier i know.

Wow,well done on the switch ,£500 that is Amazing clever you ,wish i could do that but i dont think anyone would want us let alone pay us .Great start to the year.
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,944 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    It's amazing, isn't it, how difficult it can be to motivate oneself to exercise, despite the amazing high it gives you when you've done it! Glad you had a good session at the gym :)

£500 for maybe an hour's work? I really need to get onto this this year!!
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• Busy_Mee1
    Options
    Morning ! Just noticed that it is over a week since I have posted, no excuses other than I have been hunkered down against what does feel like a very gloomy January. We have had some horrendous weather and days where there has barely been any daylight. It is looking much better today, so will try and get out at some point.

Unfortunately at this time of year “the black Dog” lurks for me, so I have been in self protection mode, not taking on any more than I can cope with at home and at work. We are nearly at the the end of January now though, and psychologically that feels better.

We have a weekend away booked (European City break) next weekend and a week in the sunshine at the end of February, so some nice things to look forward to. Unfortunately self protection mode has meant spending a bit more money but I will come on to that

The Financial Stuff

It has been a bit of a mixed month on the spending front. The grocery spends have been reasonably frugal ( around £200 spent so far) This was largely due to full cupboards and freezer after Christmas and also because I have managed to shake Mr Mee off and do the supermarket shopping on my own. We have however spent quite a lot on eating out, we have had two lots of friends to stay over two weekends and had a takeaway one weekend, which was £40 for four of us and we went out to the local Indian with the other couple and our share was £40. We also went out for DD’s Birthday and paid for the 5 of us £80 ( DD’s new boyfriend came too). This was all because I couldn’t face cooking at the moment, in addition to working and getting the house ready for guests.

In other news I have the final bill for the fireplace and they have knocked £200 off it, I had hoped for a bit more but I am not going to complain because I do love it.

Overall financially January has been quite a good month and I have managed to save over £1600 this month.
    February however, will be another matter :eek: We have a couple of big credit card bills (sunshine holiday and car stuff for Mr Mee’s car), we also need to find spending money for the weekend away and the sunshine holiday. We will need to be ultra frugal when we are at home. I mentioned to Mr Mee that things will be tight in February and his response was to not save as much in February. I...don’t....think so :mad:
    We will be frugal - I have my targets to meet :D

Health Stuff
    I am generally feeling OKish despite gloomy January. I have only lost a paltry 1lb since Christmas and only been to the gym once ( had a trapped nerve in my shoulder this week) This seems better today, so no excuses now. I would like to lose 2lb before our weekend away next week.
    We have also booked our big “travel” holiday for this year, which gives us something to plan and look forward to.

I think that is all for now. I am off for my eyes testing in a while and desperately need new glasses, so there is likely to be some spending there.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure