Contesting a will

Options
2»

Comments

• Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The solicitor that held the will has told her that she needs to fight this (of course) but seems to be billing her willy-nilly - £350 this morning to send a letter.

I know she's being ripped off but I don't know what to tell her to do.

Ask around for a recommendation of a different solicitor.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Are you sure that the £350 was for the original letter, not a request for a payment on account? It's quite common for a solciitor to request an initial payment when a file is opened. Or for meeting and review of the facts and then to confirm that advice in writing?
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • pathtofreedom
    Options
    Is she in scotland as I think they have different rules to the rest of the uk. Does she have any insurance that includes legal cover, as that might help with the costs.
    MFW OP's 2017 #101 £829.32/£5000
    MFiT-T4 - #46 £0/£45k to reduce mortgage total
    04/16 Mortgage start £153,892.45
    MFW 2015 #63 £4229.71/£3000 - old Mortgage
  • BrightonDavid
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice, I really appreciate this. Wih regards to her home, she bought this long before they met, so she provided a home for him and then they paid bills between them and towards the end he tended to pay more than she did as her money ran down.
    I'm seeing her late so I'm going to pass all this on - you've all been very kind. Thank you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure