Apple Pay with basic account?

Options
Hi all,

I currently have an Apple Watch, and have waited a very long time for Barclays to pull their finger out and support the service (they're the last major UK bank to adopt the service), only to be told today that they won't offer the service to me, as I only have a "Basic Barclays account". I'm unable to upgrade my account as i'm on Debt management plan and thus they won't offer me a current account.

Can anyone advise if there are any UK banks which can provide me with a bank account, which doesn't require a credit check AND provide Apple Pay?

I don't need any frills like an overdraft facility, just an account I can use to do general day to day things - withdraw cash, pay bills, but most of all, be able to pay for things using my phone or Apple Watch.

I also checked with Halifax and they don't appear to offer the Apple Pay service on their "basic account" either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Comments

• RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,789 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 31 March 2016 at 7:41PM
    Options
    Not sure why they should restrict as Apple pay checks your balance before authorising......
    Check Nationwide and Santander. However, it may be a general rule throughout.
    Do any of them offer contactless cards?
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Hello.

I've replied to your post in the Current Accounts thread.

Basically only Nationwide support Apple Pay on "basic accounts". The likes of NatWest, Halifax etc don't support AP for their customers with those banking facilities.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • pmartin86
    pmartin86 Posts: 756 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No idea about the account, but I find it highly amusing you have such a frivolous expense such as an apple watch yet you're in a DMP. The mind boggles...
  • Phoenix407
    Options
    Did it ever occur to your "boggling mind" that it may have been a gift?

To all other posters - thanks for your help. I sought a positive solution with nationwide.
  • pmartin86
    pmartin86 Posts: 756 Forumite
    Options
    The boggling mind would thin someone in such a precarious financial position would sell such a valuable gift to help said financial situation, but each to their own :)
  • tronator
    tronator Posts: 2,857 Forumite
    Options
    ...and why would someone on a DMP need Apple Pay? I think Barclays tried to do him a favour...
  • Phoenix407
    Options
    They did, hence why I switched banks. After all, it's not what you spend, it's how you spend, and it's a much safer payment method.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure