Economy 10 with E.on

My HA flat had their storage heaters removed before I moved in and installed electric central heating. I still have an immersion heater. Would it be possible to change my meter for a better tarrifff rather than the very expensive Economy 10 tarrif I currently have.

Thanks for any advice.

MM

Comments

• Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Morning MM.

As the storage heaters have been taken out, I can understand why you're looking at replacing the Economy 10 meter too. Whether or not you'll be better off depends on the specific circumstances at your flat.

Economy 10 meters were designed mainly for all electric properties with storage heaters and electric water immersion heaters. They give 10 hours of cheaper off peak electricity in every 24 hour period. To work, they're wired into the dedicated heating and water heating circuits. Is your new electric central heating system no longer wired in to these dedicated circuits? Also, is the water immersion heater still linked to these circuits as before? Might be an idea to ask a qualified electrician to check the set up as removing Economy 10 meters can have implications for the heating/water heating. It does depend on the circumstances.

If you're no longer benefiting from off peak electricity as before, you can look at a two rate Economy 7 or single rate meter. With Economy 7, you'll still have 7 hours off peak electricity at night but no top ups in the afternoon and evening as now. These 7 hours will be for all usage and not just for heating and water heating purposes. Economy 7 tariffs have a higher day rate and then lower prices at night. To benefit, a significant amount of electricity needs to be used during the off peak night hours. The actual amount depends on the region and tariff. Going forward, if you're not going to use enough electricity at night, a single rate tariff will probably be better. This charges all usage at the one rate.

What type of Economy 10 meter do you have at the moment? Is it a 2 or 3 rate? We're looking to replace the older 3 rate types as they're nearing the end of their shelf life. If you have one of these, we'll do this free of charge and offer you a choice of a 2 rate Economy 10, Economy 7 or single rate meter. If, though, it's a later 2 rate Economy 10 meter we're currently charging £64.76 for this work.

There are more tariffs available for Economy 7 and single rate meters both with us and with the other suppliers. We only have the one Economy 10 tariff. With us, you can have an Economy 7 meter but still have a single rate tariff. All we do is add the day and night usage together and charge it all at the one rate. I'd be careful of going down this route though. Not all suppliers do this and it could restrict your options should you want to switch to another supplier.

As I say, the best option depends on the specific circumstances at your flat but hope this gives you a few pointers. Let me know if you need any more information as happy to help.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • manchestermargo
    manchestermargo Posts: 110 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 1 April 2016 at 4:51PM
    Thanks for the information Malc. I will certainly check out the points you have raised.

I actually managed to speak to someone at E.on today, and was advised the best rate if I changed my meter would be 14.301p per kilowatt. the advisor looked at my previous bills and said it might work out not much cheaper going of my last two bills.

Thanks again.

Forgot to say I have 2 meters Rate 1 and Rate 4.
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Glad you've been able to speak to someone MM. As you've a 2 rate Economy 10 meter, all 10 off peak hours will be for all usage. Might help to save a bit if you can adapt your needs around these times. I know some aren't at particularly sociable times. Using timers on high load appliances might help a bit.

If you're not sure what times the off peak rates are active, drop an email to the address in my Profile. I'll be happy to let you know.

Malc
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    If you have an electric boiler and wet CH/DHW then it's going to be very expensive even on a single rate tariff. But running it on E10 will be hideously expensive, so a meter change is the best option. Or rip out the electric boiler and put back the NSH's, which would cost about a third as much to run on E7 or E10.
    Your HA must be utterly incompetent to even consider an electric boiler, and doubly so for then not changing the metering.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Thanks for your reply macman,
    I totally agree re the HA, taking out the storage heaters and as far as I know not informing the tenants, certainly not me, that they should enquire if it would be more economical to consider another tarriff. Can you let me know what a NSH is
    please.
    Thank you
    macman wrote: »
    If you have an electric boiler and wet CH/DHW then it's going to be very expensive even on a single rate tariff. But running it on E10 will be hideously expensive, so a meter change is the best option. Or rip out the electric boiler and put back the NSH's, which would cost about a third as much to run on E7 or E10.
    Your HA must be utterly incompetent to even consider an electric boiler, and doubly so for then not changing the metering.
    Thanks for your reply macman,
    I totally agree re the HA, taking out the storage heaters and as far as I know not informing the tenants, certainly not me, that they should enquire if it would be more economical to consider another tarriff. Can you let me know what a NSH is
    please.

Thank you

Sorry to jump in here but I think by NSH macman means Night Storage Heaters.

Malc
  • macman wrote: »

Sandal wearing tree hugger jobsworths at all HA levels are bombarded by other sandal wearing tree hugger jobsworths at GOV level to go 'green'. Big grants are available to HA's from GOV and they are both the financial overlord as well as political mater of HA's. All over the nation night store is sent to the dump and 60% more expensive to run 'wet electric' is installed in its place - after all once done - paying for it is the householders problem.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • I absolutely agree with you. I rang my HA today and said surely the tenants should have been given the facts regarding the cost of NSH verses this new wet electric system. Apparently not!! Although some of our more savvy neighbours said no to the new system and stayed with the NSH!

As you say now we are left to pay ridiculous prices for our electricity. The people in these HA flats are usually the people with the least amount of finance. Madness on every level. Thanks for all your replies.

MM
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport