Non Dependant question

Options
I am currently living with my mum and am 34 claiming JSA however I pay her £60 every two weeks. My main question is she is also taking an extra £28 off me claiming this to be for the council cause am a non dependant is this right?

Comments

• dippy3103
    dippy3103 Posts: 1,959 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 31 March 2016 at 2:24AM
    Options
    if that includes your food you are doing ok out of it. Basically it's up to your mum how much she charges you- you'd be hard put to find another lodgings that cheap.

The non dep deduction for you would be £14.55 a week.
  • Roaeman1982
    Options
    Yeah I totally agree just wanted to know do I still have to pay her the £14.55 a week on top of the £60 keep?
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    Options
    Why shouldn't you? Why should she subsidise your living costs? You're a grown adult, not a child. I'm sure it costs her a damn sight more than £30 a week to cover the extra utility bills and food etc.
  • Poppie68
    Poppie68 Posts: 4,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Feral_Moon wrote: »
    Why shouldn't you? Why should she subsidise your living costs? You're a grown adult, not a child. I'm sure it costs her a damn sight more than £30 a week to cover the extra utility bills and food etc.

Why be so confrontational?
    The op doesn't say they shouldn't or don't want to pay it...To be honest £44 per week is a hefty chunk out of jsa and leaves little left for job seeking expenses etcso I can see it from both the ops and the mother's point of view, that's if the op is moaning about the amount.
  • toomuchinfo
    toomuchinfo Posts: 181 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If your Mum is claiming housing benefit then there will be a non dependent deduction of £14.65 and you are expected to pay that on top of money for your keep. So your Mum is correct.
  • dippy3103
    dippy3103 Posts: 1,959 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Yeah I totally agree just wanted to know do I still have to pay her the £14.55 a week on top of the £60 keep?

It's up to your Mum how little or much she wants you to pay & nothing to do with anyone else.
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,951 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Poppie68 wrote: »
    Why be so confrontational?
    The op doesn't say they shouldn't or don't want to pay it...To be honest £44 per week is a hefty chunk out of jsa and leaves little left for job seeking expenses etcso I can see it from both the ops and the mother's point of view, that's if the op is moaning about the amount.

to be fair, it leaves the OP with £30 a week for travel etc.
    all the essentials are paid for out of the £44 and JSA is only for essentials.
  • Poppie68
    Poppie68 Posts: 4,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    True nannytone I can comfortably feed a family of 6 on £30 a week. What I would suggest to the op though is that if you haven't already got an interview wardrobe start buying your outfit now a bit at a time as we do come across jobseekers on this forum who seem to be surprised they have an interview but nothing suitable to wear and no funds to purchase anything.
  • Roaeman1982
    Options
    Feral_Moon wrote: »

When posting on this forum, I always expect Tory Voters, to respond to benefit questions, and I was right, firstly are you blind? did you read my thread correctly?... Secondly I'm not going to result in letting my anger out at you over your reply, because you're not worth it.

Yes you are correct I am a grown adult, and as I stated I'm completely fine with paying my mum the £60 every 2 weeks. I just had a simple question with regards to the non dependant issue. I help out with paying the electric and gas at times too.. So thank you very much for your horrible little idiotic reply.... ;).... Thanks to everyone for the fast replies.
  • Roaeman1982
    Options
    Poppie68 wrote: »
    True nannytone I can comfortably feed a family of 6 on £30 a week. What I would suggest to the op though is that if you haven't already got an interview wardrobe start buying your outfit now a bit at a time as we do come across jobseekers on this forum who seem to be surprised they have an interview but nothing suitable to wear and no funds to purchase anything.

Thanks for the reply Poppie, I do have interview wear, it's just hearing back from employee's that is taking the cake the amount of jobs, I've applied for. is beyond a joke without getting 1 reply.

I have since been referred to a work placement which I am happy with because I'll be working roughly around 36 hours in a charity shop. I know a lot have complained with regards to this placement scheme but I think it's a good idea. as it get's you out and you learn experience... I'm hoping they allow me to work extra once my placement ends..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure