Can I change insurers half way through?

ferry
ferry Posts: 2,008 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
I pay monthly to CO-OP insurance but a look around at the weekend found an insurer that can provide better cover for a lot less each month.
Can I simply cancel my existing policy with CO-OP with immediate effect without penalty?

Thanks
F x
:j

Comments

• tonyh66
    tonyh66 Posts: 1,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    no there will be a cancellation fee as described in your T&Cs mine is £25 with Swinton
  • ferry wrote: »
    I pay monthly to CO-OP insurance but a look around at the weekend found an insurer that can provide better cover for a lot less each month.
    Can I simply cancel my existing policy with CO-OP with immediate effect without penalty?

Thanks
    F x

You can but as already said you will incur fees.
    Technically you've taken out finance so there may be interest to pay.
    You won't get this years no claims bonus as you'll have the same amount as when you took out the existing policy.
    If you've made a claim you'll still owe then the full year.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Look at your terms and conditions. It is likely there is a cancellation fee AND an admin feel
    If the money you save by changing is not substantiall then just leave it till it ends.

Why, if the polcy is only half way through, do you go looking for a cheaper supplier rather than just a month or a week before its due.
    I can never understand why people do this
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Check carefully, motor insurance is an annual policy.
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    edited 31 March 2016 at 2:28PM
    McKneff wrote: »
    Look at your terms and conditions. It is likely there is a cancellation fee AND an admin feel
    If the money you save by changing is not substantiall then just leave it till it ends.

Why, if the polcy is only half way through, do you go looking for a cheaper supplier rather than just a month or a week before its due.
    I can never understand why people do this
    This is the MSE advice.

It's regularly recommended here:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/car-insurance/?_ga=1.183677093.2053115030.1454070370#lock

(Tip 10)

...Don’t assume switching is only for those at renewal. This is very important when prices are rising, as they are this year. This means you may find switching early saves anyway....

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/latesttip/?_ga=1.198876588.2053115030.1454070370

....Lock in TODAY'S car insurance prices to beat the possible 25% hike - even if you're not at renewal... 'I saved £290'. Even if your policy isn't up yet, check NOW if you can slash costs & lock in today's prices,..... Yes, we are saying even if you're not at renewal ......
  • ferry
    ferry Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    So what happens if I sell my car and dont buy another?
    :j
  • rudekid48
    rudekid48 Posts: 2,382 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    ferry wrote: »

You don't have a car.
    All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Then you cancel your policy part-way through the year, and take whatever refund is left after fees once the premium's been pro-rata'd.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,620 Forumite
    You cancel your insurance and pay any relevant fees.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,905 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    OP, there will be penalties & it's up to you to figure whether the saving (& the loss of a year's NCB) is worth it, but if that "lot less each month" is big enough, go for it!

The folk on the phone may try to keep you but if you explain the economic realities? They can match it, or wave farewell.

Loyalty is a very expensive commodity & why should we as consumers pay for it?.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure