We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Recommendations for Small Blueberry Bushes

Mrs_B
Mrs_B Posts: 333 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
I am looking to plant a couple of blueberries this year, but I need them to be smaller/compact shrubs if at all possible - and would quite like good flavour too.

I am considering TopHat as one of the varieties. Is anyone growing this? Any comments on it?

Any suggestions on what my second choice could be?

I have sent myself square-eyed trying to search through varieties and sizes, and then realised that the experts are almost certainly here. :T
Work is not my Hobby

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Mrs_B wrote: »

I have sent myself square-eyed trying to search through varieties and sizes, and then realised that the experts are almost certainly here. :T
    I think maybe few people of us will have the comparative knowledge you're after, and even if we do, 'good flavour' is to an extent subjective and maybe also linked to soil.

I've suffered the same thing choosing blackberries, with size and thorns/no thorns to consider, as well as early/later cropping.

In the end, I just plumped for a couple of RHS recommended varieties, none of which has an AGM. I figured they grow more than most of us, and although their view is subjective too, they evaluate on a range of sites.

The RHS advice on blueberries is here. While you've probably seen it, maybe it'll be useful for others reading this:

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=85
  • madjackslam
    madjackslam Posts: 280 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I grow five different varieties of blueberries in pots, and to be honest I've not noticed much difference between them in terms of the size of the plant. I haven't pruned them because I wanted them to establish, but, perhaps because of that, they are now huge sprawling beasts, each six feet across. More like a dogwood than one of the compact, fruit-laden bushes you see in the catalogues. They fruit well, mind you, and the flavour is far better than supermarket-bought fruit. However, I suspect that to get a neat compact, plant, you have to prune carefully. The RHS mentions that it's a good idea to have different varieties to improve pollination/fruit, but I don't know how important that is. They are fabulous plants, though, good winter stem colour, lovely fresh foliage and flowers in spring, fruit and autumn colour. And apart from being acid-lovers, I've found them to be trouble free.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,292 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Tophat say they are self fertile, but mine fruited better when I bought other varieties too. They are about 3/4 the size of my bigger ones like Bluecrop, I like the taste but only one of my four or five varieties is as sweet as shop bought blueberries (not Tophat, but I can't remember which as the tags came off). I have two tophats and one fruits well and the other badly.

So maybe not much help there - but I do advise more than one variety.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • Mrs_B
    Mrs_B Posts: 333 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    OK, so I have now done quite a bit more research based on what you guys have said, and have decided on a Sunshine Blue (3' x 3' supposedly) which will fit my space nicely. My other choices would have been Top Hat or Blue Pearl - which are around 2'. Sunshine Blue is self fertile - as you say theoretica, I might have a better crop with more than one, but I have also found a dwarf raspberry bush, and a redcurrant, and blackcurrant - and I have decided I want variety rather than the bigger crop of one.
    Work is not my Hobby
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport