Integrated home insurance with mortgage

Options
Hi

I took out a mortgage with Halifax about 10yrs ago and my home insurance is taken annually by adding it to My mortgage. I can't find my original documents but presume I must have signed something to say it was ok. At the time I didn't understand what it meant but now I can see the interest on my mortgage is on my house insurance too. I've now cancelled my house insurance from my mortgage and have it separate but I must have paid I fortune in interest on the annual £480 for the insurance

I feel like I've been duped and have paid way too much for this. Is this normal practice to include insurance with a mortgage? Any info/advice welcome

Comments

• -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,504 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Sometimes if you take advice from a mortgage advisor they sell you insurance as part of the deal, you pay them for the insurance, they give you 'free' advice.

Since then however, you have been free to change the insurance to any other provider when your premiums became due.

Dunston will be along shortly with more info
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I can't find my original documents but presume I must have signed something to say it was ok.

It would likely have been a tick box on the application form.
    At the time I didn't understand what it meant but now I can see the interest on my mortgage is on my house insurance too.
    At the time I didn't understand what it meant but now I can see the interest on my mortgage is on my house insurance too.

With most lenders, the home insurance premium is taken from a sub account with nil interest applied to it. A small number of lenders use a chargeable sub account but the premium and the payment tend to offset each other resulting in little or no interest.
    but I must have paid I fortune in interest on the annual £480 for the insurance

Unlikely. Probably havent paid any but if you have, it wont be much.
    I feel like I've been duped and have paid way too much for this. Is this normal practice to include insurance with a mortgage? Any info/advice welcome

For building societies, that was the most common way until around 10-15 years ago. Since then, monthly direct debit standalone was the norm.

You have not been duped.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure