How long from initial JSA appointment to first payment?

Options
Long story but for many reasons I left my job in December to go self employed and it hasn't worked out, so I'm now job hunting again. I'm a single parent and currently have next to no income, so I made the hard decision to apply for JSA while I job hunt. I've got my initial appointment to claim JSA on Tuesday. I'm concerned for two reasons, firstly that I won't be allowed to claim due to leaving a job voluntarily, albeit to go SE, and secondly that if I am allowed to claim, it'll take weeks to get a payment through. I only have a few pounds to my name, so the situation is pretty dire. Does anyone know how long it'll take from first appointment to first payment? Thank you.

Comments

• paragon909
    paragon909 Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    Options
    Well you will be sanctioned for up to 26 weeks for leaving a job voluntarily

And if you do get accepted the first payment is normally within 2 weeks or claiming. But you should get a text message confirming them.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,766 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you do get sanctioned you can ask for a reconsideration, and you can also apply for a hardship payment to keep you going in the interim.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You will not be sanctioned for ending self employment because it did not work out.

You can only be sanctioned if you were an employee.
  • Brickwall
    Brickwall Posts: 116 Forumite
    Options
    My brother was self employed until February, he just couldn't make ends meet any more. He wasnt sanctioned for going on JSA, however, it's taken from February until last week to get his first payment. His biggest problem has been the housing benefit, they're still demanding full rent, he's been borrowing off people to pay it until he can get that sorted out, hopefully now that his JSA is sorted the rest should fall into place.
  • ElleWoods
    ElleWoods Posts: 421 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I was worried because I've only been SE for three months and I don't want them to think I went SE for a while just so I wouldn't get sanctioned when claiming JSA. I didn't - I had every hope that being SE would work out but I just can't survive on what I'm making and needed to apply for JSA as soon as I realised I was flogging a dead horse. :(

I already receive housing benefit Brickwall, because my previous job was quite low paying and I've received in-work housing benefit for years, so hopefully it won't take long to make any adjustments to that. It's just the JSA payment that I'm desperate for as I literally only have a few pounds to my name and I've got a child to feed. My appointment is tomorrow so hopefully they'll be able to give me more details then about how long it might take.

On the plus side, I've already seen three jobs that I'm going to apply for, so hopefully this situation won't last too long. :)
  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,389 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I was worried because I've only been SE for three months and I don't want them to think I went SE for a while just so I wouldn't get sanctioned when claiming JSA. I didn't - I had every hope that being SE would work out but I just can't survive on what I'm making and needed to apply for JSA as soon as I realised I was flogging a dead horse. :(

I already receive housing benefit Brickwall, because my previous job was quite low paying and I've received in-work housing benefit for years, so hopefully it won't take long to make any adjustments to that. It's just the JSA payment that I'm desperate for as I literally only have a few pounds to my name and I've got a child to feed. My appointment is tomorrow so hopefully they'll be able to give me more details then about how long it might take.

On the plus side, I've already seen three jobs that I'm going to apply for, so hopefully this situation won't last too long. :)

Don't you get tax credits?
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • Londonsu
    Londonsu Posts: 1,391 Forumite
    Options
    Don't you get Child benefit
  • ElleWoods
    ElleWoods Posts: 421 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes to both TCs and child benefit but I'm overdrawn, so loathe to take any money out of the bank. I will take the odd tenner out if absolutely necessary but as I'm already in debt, I don't want to get in too much more.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure