Property ownership question

Options
I'm nervous about writing this as I know topics can go off on tangents and I'm not up to abusive or sarky comments so please if you cant say anything nice....I'm hoping that I'm making a fuss over nothing anyway but just wanted to check.

I'm on DLA (HRM & HRC) - in the process of being switched to PIP but, for now, lets just go with the current status, and ESA Support Group. I live with my parents so do not receive the Disability Premium and obviously don't claim HB or CTax Benefit. However, and this is only a vague possibility at the mo' so just making initial enquiries....my parents are thinking of selling up and retiring overseas. The possibility is that, sounding flippant I know, I get my inheritance early in essence. The idea is they will buy me a small property in the UK (don't need anyone to pint out how awesome an offer that is...I KNOW!!). This will help me start to get my life sorted and I am hoping to start my own business in time, etc etc. Obviously there will be no mortgage or rent on the house, but would I be eligible for CTax Benefit? Also, if its in my name but I didnt pay for it, will this affect my other benefits? I hope this make sense.
Thank you in advance

Comments

• bloolagoon
    bloolagoon Posts: 7,973 Forumite
    Options
    Nothing will change unless you get gifted money - being a homeowner doesn't deny benefits especially if they buy your house and don't gift money to you
    Tomorrow is the most important thing in life
  • Topcat1982
    Topcat1982 Posts: 391 Forumite
    Options
    As long as you live in it there's no problem.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You will have to build up some savings to cope with house maintenance, like the boiler breaking down or the roof needing repairs - that's the downside of being a home owner.
  • midnight_express
    Options
    Who will be caring for you ?
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    No it won't affect your current benefits and, if you are the only person living in the property you should be entitled to CT reduction. If nobody is living with you, and nobody is claiming Carers Allowance for caring for you, you would also be entitled to the Disability Premium.
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    Who will be caring for you ?

Why is that relevant? You don't know that the parents are doing the caring now. Or perhaps they can't do the caring any more due to health problems of their own.

Even if they're fit as a fiddle, there's nothing to say they have to care for a child from birth until their own deaths. They're allowed to have a life at some point.

And a disabled person is entitled to have a grown up life away from parents too.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm on DLA (HRM & HRC) and ESA Support Group.
    Who will be caring for you?
    Ames wrote: »
    Why is that relevant?

Depending on how much the parents have to spend on a house, it could be useful to get a two-bed place so that someone could be on hand as a carer now and the room could be let to a lodger if Paws' health improves.
  • brokennotbent
    Options
    That would be the plan Mojisola; with the lodgers rent going towards the bills etc. It us all just a dream at the mo but gives me something to focus on X
  • tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options
    That would be the plan Mojisola; with the lodgers rent going towards the bills etc. It us all just a dream at the mo but gives me something to focus on X

Your username appears to have changed ...
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

You might very well find it difficult to find (or keep) a lodger in your situation so I would make sure that you don't need to rely on this income.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure