Benefits for a student ADVICE NEEDED

Options
Hi posting for benefit advice. My sister (she's 24) has just lost her job and wants to return to education because she's sick of what she classes as dead end jobs that she hates, so she wants to retrain and get a job she enjoys and wants to do. Question is is she entitled to any help with benefits? She lives in a Universal Credit area and she lives at home with our parents and pays board.

Tried to have a look online but I am lost. Looked at Universal credit but there is no mention of students, ive used the entitled to calculator but it doesn't ask I'd she's a student or not and as it's good friday the line is closed. Can anybody help shed any light on this please? Tia

Comments

• Soot2006
    Soot2006 Posts: 2,167 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Student live off a student loan, which is treated as income. Even if the loan is not claimed, I believe that eligible claimers as always treated as though they have that income.

Education is not free so you cannot pay for it out of benefits!
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    As a single person returning to Uni (I assume) she won't be entitled to the usual benefits. No JSA as she's not job seeking, no HB as she is living with parents etc.

When I was a student I managed to survive living in my own place. I paid my way with my student loan, and a 24 hour a week job.

Depending on your parents income she may be entitled to non repayable grants but tbh its been 5 years since Ive been in Uni so things may have changed on that front, for better or worse.
  • fletcher89
    fletcher89 Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    She will be going to college and as a college student myself I know she won't be able to get living loans and grants, they are only available to uni students not college students. Sorry forgot say she'll be going to college, but thanks for your replies
  • pathtofreedom
    Options
    If you look on the college website they normally have a lower fee for people on some types of benefits. You'd need to find a course she likes the look of and see if she qualifies for the reduced rate or not.
    MFW OP's 2017 #101 £829.32/£5000
    MFiT-T4 - #46 £0/£45k to reduce mortgage total
    04/16 Mortgage start £153,892.45
    MFW 2015 #63 £4229.71/£3000 - old Mortgage
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you look on the college website they normally have a lower fee for people on some types of benefits. You'd need to find a course she likes the look of and see if she qualifies for the reduced rate or not.

Some places do, many don't but anyway, there won't be any benefits she can claim if she's at college.
  • missbiggles1
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    fletcher89 wrote: »
    Hi posting for benefit advice. My sister (she's 24) has just lost her job and wants to return to education because she's sick of what she classes as dead end jobs that she hates, so she wants to retrain and get a job she enjoys and wants to do. Question is is she entitled to any help with benefits? She lives in a Universal Credit area and she lives at home with our parents and pays board.

Tried to have a look online but I am lost. Looked at Universal credit but there is no mention of students, ive used the entitled to calculator but it doesn't ask I'd she's a student or not and as it's good friday the line is closed. Can anybody help shed any light on this please? Tia

What does she want to retrain to do?

If appropriate, the best thing would be for her to lok at Adult Apprenticeships.

http://www.apprenticeshipguide.co.uk/adult-apprenticeships/
  • naturaljazz
    naturaljazz Posts: 164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The way the system now works is if you missed out on college straight from school you really struggle to go as an adult. An example is an Access course.. she could get half fees on the course, if your parents income is under £30,000 per year. Level 3 and above course she applies for loans for that.
    The best is to try to find an apprenticeship job... then they pay for her to do college. This is not for doing A levels etc, if she wants to eventually go to uni she will really struggle nowadays at her age. My son looked into this a month or so ago, it is too expensive and he decided it wasn't feasible.
    Remember when you judge someone, it does not define them ... You define yourself :j
  • missbiggles1
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The way the system now works is if you missed out on college straight from school you really struggle to go as an adult. An example is an Access course.. she could get half fees on the course, if your parents income is under £30,000 per year. Level 3 and above course she applies for loans for that.
    The best is to try to find an apprenticeship job... then they pay for her to do college. This is not for doing A levels etc, if she wants to eventually go to uni she will really struggle nowadays at her age. My son looked into this a month or so ago, it is too expensive and he decided it wasn't feasible.

Given that parents can claim child related benefits until the age of 19, that's a bit of an exaggeration.

For most adults, part time FE alongside a part time job is the best option and has been for many years.
  • WibblyGirly
    WibblyGirly Posts: 470 Forumite
    Options
    I'm attending uni as a mature student, I study History and I don't even have a history GCSE or A-Level. I did 60 credits at Open University that if I had continued would have led on to a history degree with them but it helped me get into uni. I was given an unconditional offer.

Students don't get benefits, as I was 25 and had lived independantly from parents for 5 years I get the full entitlement for the living loans, I also work part time to top up my loans so I can actually live as my loans alone would not be enough.
  • naturaljazz
    naturaljazz Posts: 164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sorry I was under the impression that at her age the parents wouldn't get benefits for her? Once you are 24 you pay the fee in full. Also from the tone of the question, I was offering my personal experience of a 24 year old trying to do a course in college as the question related to the young woman being sick of dead end jobs. I think if you were to work part time and go to college you may get by living with your parents. An example is a teaching assistant training course so level 2 then level 3 would set you back around £2800. I am not meaning to stereotype this young woman, I give this as an example as that is the job I do, and I got all my courses for free some years ago.
    I am very supportive of free adult education as a means of changing ones circumstances, 2 of my children got free courses and EMA and I am proud that they fought with others against the cuts to further education funding as it would mean that people from poor backgrounds would face more barriers to training and education. I therefore stand by my 'exaggeration' .
    Remember when you judge someone, it does not define them ... You define yourself :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure