Partner moving in

Options
Hello,

Haven't posted on here for ages, but hoping you lot can help me.

My partner is moving in with me officially 4th April, I know I need to call various departments to advise them of changes in circumstances. Just wondered how many I need to contact. Currently I claim CTC, CB, CT, HB, IS and CA (my son has DLA).

Do I need to tell all these departments individually? Or will some link to others?

Thanks,
Heather
TSB: £4900
Virgin: £4700

Today is the first day of the rest of my life...

Comments

• pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    HeatherH wrote: »
    Hello,

Haven't posted on here for ages, but hoping you lot can help me.

My partner is moving in with me officially 4th April, I know I need to call various departments to advise them of changes in circumstances. Just wondered how many I need to contact. Currently I claim CTC, CB, CT, HB, IS and CA (my son has DLA).

Do I need to tell all these departments individually? Or will some link to others?

Thanks,
    Heather

Does your partner work?
  • john1002
    john1002 Posts: 984 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You need to inform all of them bar DLA/CA depending if hex works could effect almost all your benefits bar DLA and CA significantly.

Need more info

John
  • Diary
    Diary Posts: 591 Forumite
    Options
    To answer your question specifically and not get into things you haven't asked.

This constitutes a change in circumstance and you must inform all departments you claim from individually by phone following up in writing keeping a copy. Including DLA and CA.
    Master Apothecary Faranell replied, “I assure you, overseer, the Royal Apothecary Society dearly wishes to make up for the tragic misguidance which ended so many lives. We will cause you no trouble. We seek only to continue our research in peace".
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Diary wrote: »
    To answer your question specifically and not get into things you haven't asked.

This constitutes a change in circumstance and you must inform all departments you claim from individually by phone following up in writing keeping a copy. Including DLA and CA.

With all due respect it does make a difference as regards whether her partner is working.

If the OP loses Income Support then the HB and CT reduction stops automatically so there would be no need to inform the council.

However, if the partner was on a low income then they could make a new claim for HB and CT reduction based on a low income.

I understand that sometimes we ask for additional information but generally there is a reason so we can offer full advice on any possible benefit entitlements.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Don't assume that various departments speak to each other, and pass on the relevant information, they don't. I would be inclined to contact everybody, just to play safe. As pmlindyloo says, Income Support is the trigger for other benefits so I would suggest contacting them first. If you partner is working, and earning more than the amount you currently receive from IS then IS is lokely to stop.
  • HeatherH
    HeatherH Posts: 304 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, apologies for not replying sooner.
    My partner is self employed in IT and is currently working a full time contract. I know that all the benefits are effected apart from dla. He wants to make me his PA within his business (just him, no other employees) so I know CA can be effected also.

I just want to get my facts straight before he moves in.

• Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    HeatherH wrote: »
    He wants to make me his PA within his business (just him, no other employees) so I know CA can be effected also.

There's good advice about CA here -
    https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice/financial-support/help-with-benefits/carers-allowance

This bit - You earn £110 a week (after deductions) or less - is worth reading before you start employment.
  • HeatherH
    HeatherH Posts: 304 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ok thanks, I'll have a read of the cab site.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure