Help re DLA for son

Options
I would appreciate any advice regarding my son's recent claim for DLA.

He is 9 years old recently diagnosed with ASD. I was told by his consultant to apply for DLA for him. He is extremely violent, both at home and school, things have got so bad at school he is danger of being excluded.

He never sleeps before 3-4am every night and I have to stay awake with him as he would have the whole house awake if I didn't.

I have received his award, middle rate care and low rate mobility. I was told by an advisor on a help line he would definately qualify for high rate care as he needs supervision for a considerable length of time during the night and also because of his extreme behaviour.

Do you think it's worth asking for the decision to be looked at again? I'm really new to all of this and don't know what to do for the best. He was be awarded DLA until 2021.

Many thanks in advance

Comments

• pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have you received the written reasons for the decision?

You have to ask for a mandatory decision before you can appeal. You have one month to do this.

My advice? Take all your paperwork and medical evidence to CAB/welfare advisor and ask them to help. They will guide you through the mandatory decision and the appeal. Do this asap.

Very difficult to advise as to your best option without knowing all the details and the medical evidence that you have.
  • Lindsey1973
    Options
    Thank you for your reply.

I sent two letters from the consultant paediatrician, a speech and language therapy report, a report from the Educational Psychologist and reports from the school, all detailing his extreme behaviour and problems with sleep.

The reasons on the award:

you are entitled to middle rate because you need attention with bodily functions several times at short intervals right through the day.

There is no mention anywhere on the award regarding care during the night.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thank you for your reply.

I sent two letters from the consultant paediatrician, a speech and language therapy report, a report from the Educational Psychologist and reports from the school, all detailing his extreme behaviour and problems with sleep.

The reasons on the award:

you are entitled to middle rate because you need attention with bodily functions several times at short intervals right through the day.

There is no mention anywhere on the award regarding care during the night.

It might be worth keeping a diary showing details of what happens during the night time (i.e after the household has 'shut down' for the night'.

You could put down day/time/what exactly happens - you really need detail - useful to put down what has happened in the past when you weren't 'watching over him'. You say he would cause havoc so you need to show exactly what this means.

They compare your child with someone of his own age (or if mentioned in reports) of a comparative 'emotional/mental age and how the 'average child' would act.

Hope this helps but do get some professional advice.
  • letthemeatcake
    Options
    personally I would not challenge it as there is always a danger you could lose what you already have as they look at the whole award again. However my Son was awarded the higher care award for similar reasons as your Son.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,323 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Its often a case of using the right words to describe the same thing. Do as advised and get help from the CAB or see if there are any local autistic charities who help with this process.

I had help from my local Kent Autistic Trust, and was awarded high rate care, low mobility within two weeks. I couldn't believe it. With my older son, who also has ASD, it took 9 months and one appeal to get an award, but I didn't have any help. I was probably too long winded and emotional with his form.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure