Benefits and maternity allowance

Options
I have a question about claiming benefits whilst on maternity allowance.

I am self employed and currently claiming maternity allowance. I have two businesses that a family member is running for me during my maternity leave and I am taking earnings of about £150 - £200 a month from them, although obviously not actively working for it. My husband is claiming ESA (support group) and PIP mobility. I have looked on the entitled to benefits calculator and I am not sure how to answer the questions.

Am I technically working whilst claiming MA? If yes, how many hours am I supposed to put down?

Also when I have looked in the past they have used the previous years household earnings to decide on eligibility. Obviously our household income has dropped substantially, but I'm worried if they use this years earnings as a guide (looking to start claiming next month when the new financial year comes in) then they will decide we are not eligible?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance!
[/COLOR]
2024 Challenges
Live in the moment more and appreciate the small things

Comments

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    You are classed as employed (s/e) but not as working so don't need to put down the number of hours. I'm assuming your husband is claiming ESA Conts only as your earnings plus MA would nil any entitlement to Income based ESA.
    For the purposes of a benefits entitlement calculator I guess you would just put your earnings and MA as other income or something similar.
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Options
    You're considered working your normal hours for tax credit proposes for the first 39 weeks.
  • FeistyFidget
    FeistyFidget Posts: 1,368 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You're considered working your normal hours for tax credit proposes for the first 39 weeks.

And therein lies the problem, my usual hours fluctuate so wildly it's difficult to get an 'average' amount.
    [/COLOR]
    2024 Challenges
    Live in the moment more and appreciate the small things
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 4,176 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You shouldn't be averaging for tax credits anyway. You need to be working 30 hours each week. Do you?
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Options
    _shel wrote: »
    You shouldn't be averaging for tax credits anyway. You need to be working 30 hours each week. Do you?

Not if they have a child.

It's either 16 for a single parent or 24 for a couple (with a few exceptions for disabled/carers).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure