Universal Credit & New Enterprise Allowance

Options
Sir_Pac
Sir_Pac Posts: 175 Forumite
edited 24 March 2016 at 1:06PM in Benefits & tax credits
I'm currently stuck in limbo whilst waiting for DWP to respond to my question regarding claiming NEA whilst in receipt of Universal Credit.

Is anybody here, claiming both? and if so, does receiving NEA effect the UC claim?

I ask this because my Business Plan/Financial Forecast has been accepted by PeoplePlus (those administrating the NEA programme).

The email I received informing me that I'm good to go, advised the following:
Please arrange a date with your job centre advisor to cease your JSA and move onto NEA (let me know when this happens), the forms you will need to complete with your advisor are NEA7 and state deminus

Throughout the process of creating my business plan/financial forecast I had asked my 'mentor' and my Job Centre work coach how the NEA would effect my Universal Credit. Both the mentor and the work coach referred me back to the other for the answer.

(The Gov.uk web site states: Any money you get doesn't affect your Housing Benefit,Tax Credits, Income Tax, Universal Credit)

Doesn't ceasing JSA alter the Universal Credit downwards?

As originally stated above, I have written to the DWP for a definitive answer (I could have phoned the Universal Credit 0345 600 0723 number but at 34p a minute, I thought it best to get my answer in black and white instead)

Paul
Always interested in networking with small business owners with regard to marketing opportunities...

Comments

• konark
    konark Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    Options
    0345 numbers aren't 34p a minute, if you have a phone plan they may even be free at weekends or all the time and if you have an unlimited calls mobile contract they(unlike 0845) are included. Even if you have to pay it's only standard rate from a landline.
  • Sir_Pac
    Options
    konark wrote: »
    0345 numbers aren't 34p a minute, if you have a phone plan they may even be free at weekends or all the time and if you have an unlimited calls mobile contract they(unlike 0845) are included. Even if you have to pay it's only standard rate from a landline.

Cheers Konark, maybe I should have done a little more research...
    Always interested in networking with small business owners with regard to marketing opportunities...
  • Ian011
    Ian011 Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 25 March 2016 at 10:46PM
    Options
    Calls to 03 numbers cost exactly the same as whatever you pay for calls to 01 and 02 numbers. If you have an inclusive allowance for calling 01 and 02 numbers, the allowance will also cover calls to 03 numbers. If you are paying a per-minute rate for calls to 01, 02 and 03 numbers you're probably on the wrong call plan or with the wrong provider.

Landline providers give you the choice of paying around £7 per hour for these calls or paying around £8 per month for unlimited anytime calls. If you make more than 15 minutes of weekday calls per week, the anytime inclusive allowance works out cheaper. If you make sure your calls do not exceed 60 minutes each and you avoid calling premium rate 084, 087 and 09 numbers, there will be nothing further to pay.

Mobile providers give you the choice of paying a per-minute rate for calls or buying a bundle. Some charge a reasonable 3p to 5p per minute, others charge an extortionate 20p to 45p per minute. Bundles usually offer much better value for money, with hundreds of minutes and texts for £5 and many hundreds more for £10. Make sure you do not exceed the allowance otherwise the rates become extortionate.
  • Sir_Pac
    edited 1 April 2016 at 1:49PM
    Options
    https://www.gov.uk/new-enterprise-allowance

This information on the NEA page is incorrect. I have just got off with the phone with Universal Credit who informed me of this.

I have spent 8 weeks preparing a business plan/marketing plan/financial forecast, basing my plans on being able to survive my first few months of low sales with the aid of NEA only now to find that what's given with one hand (financial support) is taken away with the other hand.

I have made a complaint regarding the NEA web sites false information.

What annoys me more though is the fact that during those 8 week preparing my business, neither the Mentor (NEA) nor the Work Coach (JCP) could answer my question regarding this matter, each referring me back to the other.

https://www.gov.uk/new-enterprise-allowance
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure