Talk21 email BT increase from £1.60pm to £5.00pm if dont join BT broadband

Options
twokcc
twokcc Posts: 243 Forumite
After the fiasco about 2 years ago when BT advised that they would close (later changed to charge for the continued use of) talk21 and btinternet email addresses I decided to pay the £1.60 per month as with more than 12years emails it would just be to much hassle to notify all companies/subscription services/saving accounts etc etc of a change in email address.

Today received an email from BT advising that the monthly charge would be increasing to £5 pm from 6th May unless I transfer my broadband to BT.

Blackmail IMO- anyone know of a way of transferring all old emails to another web based email provider that is NOT linked to subscribing to that companies broadband?

Comments

• happymrjames
    Options
    On a related note - I contacted BT yesterday, as I was also unhappy with this. They have, at least, given me a 12 month contract for this e-mail account, at the cost of £1.60 per month. So, I have 12 months grace to sort this out. I might even be transferring to BT for broadband in 12 months time (depends on their offer) when my current contract with TalkTalk runs out - so, it is conceivable that I might not need to have to deal with this issue for two years. I was pleased with the ease of getting BT to agree to give me a 12 month extension of the current £1.60 price.
  • april87
    april87 Posts: 353 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have a talk21 email address and have never paid for it
  • twokcc
    Options
    april87 wrote: »
    I have a talk21 email address and have never paid for it

Free if your with BT broadband are you with them?
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Options
    Having to move from my O2 email address soon as unlike you they are shutting it down completely.

The following info will allow you to backup your old emails to an Outlook (Hotmail) or Google address. It will be web based but you can download to your own email software on you Pc etc.

This was the info on their website to me to allow me to backup my old emails and my contacts.

Just replace the o2.co.uk email references to your own email address.

Good luck. :T

Gmail

1. Moving your emails:
    2. Sign in to your Gmail account. If you don’t have one already, set one up at Google.co.uk/mail
    3. Go to ‘Settings’, and click ‘Accounts’.
    4. Click ‘Add a POP3 mail account you own’.
    5. Pop your o2.co.uk email address in the box and click ‘Next Step’. Enter your password. Don’t worry about ticking on any of the boxes - just click ‘Add Account’.
      You’ll be asked if you want to continue to send mail using your O2 email address. Click ‘No’.
    6. Click ‘Finish’. And you’re all done.
    All your existing o2.co.uk emails and all future emails until 7 June 2016 will be automatically sent to your Gmail account. You can still send and get mail from your o2.co.uk account until then.
    Moving your contacts:
    1. Sign in to your My O2 account and click ‘Online Address Book’ from your O2 Webmail.
    2. Go to ‘Settings’, and then ‘Export contacts’.
    3. Click ‘Export contacts’. Your contacts will be exported into an Excel document. Make sure to save this somewhere safe.
    4. Sign into your Gmail account, click on ‘Gmail’ at the top-left corner of the page, and click ‘Contacts’.
    5. Click the ‘More’ tab and then ‘Import’.
    6. Click ‘CSV or vCard File’ and then ‘Go To Old Contacts’
    7. Click the ‘More’ tab and then ‘Import Contacts’. Choose the file you created and click ‘Import’ again.
    8. Click ‘Another Outlook.com or Hotmail account’ and choose the file you saved.
    That’s it. You’ve safely transferred all your contacts.
    Hotmail

Moving your emails:
    1. Click the cog icon in the top right corner, ‘Options’, and then ‘Import Email Accounts’.
    2. Click ‘Other email provider’, then ‘Advanced Options’, then ‘My provider doesn't support IMAP’.
    3. Import from POP3 by adding your account to Outlook.com.
    4. Click ‘Advanced Options’, and enter the server address of mail.o2.co.uk. The port is 110.
    5. Untick ‘requires a secure connection (SSL)’.
    6. Pop in your username (your full O2 email address, including @o2.co.uk).
    7. Then your password (your full O2 email password).
    8. Click ‘Send emails using Outlook.com's server’. Then hit ‘Next’.
    9. Choose either ‘A new folder’ or ‘Your Inbox’ (the latter for your O2 emails to be stored).
    10. Ignore the ‘You must verify ….@o2.co.uk’ message to send from it. The email address is closing, so you can’t ever send from it.
    11. Press ‘Go to your inbox’.
    Your o2.co.uk emails should apppear in your inbox, or the folder you choose. It can take a couple of days for them all to show up.
    Moving your contacts:
    1. Sign in to your My O2 account and click ‘Online Address Book’ from your O2 Webmail.
    2. Go to ‘Settings’ and then ‘Export contacts’.
    3. Click ‘Export contacts’. All your contacts will be exported into an Excel document. Make sure you save this somewhere safe.
    4. Then sign into your Hotmail account, select ‘People’, and then ‘Import from file’.
    5. Click ‘Another Outlook.com or Hotmail account’ and choose the file that you saved.
    6. When you’ve chosen the file, click on ‘Import contacts’, and wait for the confirmation.
    That’s it. You’ve safely transferred all your contacts.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • twokcc
    Options
    Thanks for info Robin have both a talk21 and btinternet account so will try with one and see how it goes.

Is there any limit on no of emails can be transferred (or limit by storage space)?
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Your Google account gives you 15Gb of free storage across Gmail, Google Drive and Google Photos. You can increase that but it then becomes chargeable. That's a lot of emails. if you are using a desktop email client, then the capacity is limited only by the disk space available on your device.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Kernow666
    Kernow666 Posts: 3,480 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    bit annoying this , my 1st email was with BT and still use it , I went on the £1.60 a month deal but had letter last week for £5 a month and though no way as I do not have them for BB or homephone just email

tried ringing them up but in a constant Q luckily its a Freephone number and got a few weeks yet to cancel
    just have to get a list of all the places my email is registered and change them before leaving
    "If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport