Student Flat Eating

Options

Comments

• NellyLock
    NellyLock Posts: 487 Forumite
    Options
    and what is NellyLock doing putting pepper on top of loo rolls

haha...it reduces the ammount of loo roll people use ;) not so pleasant hahaha :)
  • sheep_3
    sheep_3 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Word of advice - dont leave any goodies sitting about they are guaranteed to go walkies! I found it was better just to buy your own bread/milk as and when you need it, we tried taking turns to replace milk etc but it didnt work.
    We do all pitch in for cleaning products though.
    :pSheep
  • tr3mor
    tr3mor Posts: 2,325 Forumite
    Options
    it just depends what type of flat your in i suppose. I share with 8 boys, all have our own bathrooms, and the cleaner does the kitchen every day and our rooms once a week. Ahhh - student life ;)
  • starlite_2
    starlite_2 Posts: 2,428 Forumite
    Options
    It is far better to not worry about a bit of milk or bread going missing...if so then you don't have to feel guilty if you run out and need to use a little of someone elses. some people can be very funny though..in my student flat we had a couple sharing a room who used to keep loo roll in their bedroom and go and get it every time they needed to use it..very strange! i bit my tongue over the fact that neither of them had any crockery, cutlery or utensils and so used everyone elses all the time, often leaving them dirty in the sink..and once using a bread knife to scrape bacon fat out of my super posh non stick wok i had recieved for christmas...its tough getting used to other peoples quirks and the irritations they may cause, but if you have a relaxed attitude you can't go too far wrong.
    Membre Of Teh Misspleing Culb
  • lellie
    lellie Posts: 1,489 Forumite
    Options
    put bread in a freezer and take out a few slices at a time if you don't use much - buy it reduced from supermarkets when it's close to its date to save money.. it's fine if put in the freezer straight away and used when you need it.
  • We_Laugh_Indoors
    Options
    lellie wrote:
    put bread in a freezer and take out a few slices at a time if you don't use much - buy it reduced from supermarkets when it's close to its date to save money.. it's fine if put in the freezer straight away and used when you need it.
    thats a really good one, i still do that now!

10p a loaf!

can't complain!

i wouldn't use it for anything but toast though. which doesn't matter as students live on beans!!(i did!). i microwave it to thaw it out before toasting, i find it better.
    'What's poignancy grandad?'

'It's the cordon bleu of emotions sonny'
  • Mich_3
    Mich_3 Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    I live in a house of 5 (all guys), and 4 of us eat together, with one cooking alone.

The four of us buy all of the basics and while one person might to use as much milk as someone else, they'll probably eat more bread or coffee etc.

The four also cook together most nights which saves time, gives a varied diet and is much cheaper.

The person that cooks alone is quite stubborn and refuses to join us despite us having a home cooked lasagne on the same night he'll have curry from a tin or pizza for the nth time in as many days. We have tried to get him involved but he is just too stubborn!

Four of us are studying Economics and i'm quite handy with Excel so we post all of the reciepts onto the fridge and go through them once a month or so. It gets all of the food and utilities sorted, and while it seems OTT and is laughed at by some, they are the same people complaining that they haven't been paid for something they bought in their own house.

A final note of caution from halls last year (catered so cooking wasn't really an issue) don't put you name on things, put a mark. If something looks differnt people will leave it, if it has a name it may get eaten to annoy you!
  • Midget_Karen
    Midget_Karen Posts: 127 Forumite
    Options
    Mich wrote:
    Four of us are studying Economics and i'm quite handy with Excel so we post all of the reciepts onto the fridge and go through them once a month or so. It gets all of the food and utilities sorted, and while it seems OTT and is laughed at by some, they are the same people complaining that they haven't been paid for something they bought in their own house.
    We did this too... ok, we didn't have it in excel, but we stuck all receipts and bills on the fridge, and when someone was beginning to feel poor / out of pocket, we'd balance it all up.
    We also made sure at the beginning of the year to give the people that didnt' tend to do much shopping the bills instead.
    That way, when we came to balance up we were more equal to start with.
    Proud to have become an Ocean Rower in 2010 (crossed the Atlantic in a crew of 4 ladies and had the best 77 days of my life!)
  • student100
    student100 Posts: 1,059 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    yeah...it doesn't need 4 economics students to calculate a few bills :)

Another thing I found in halls, if you tie food up in a carrier bag in the fridge it's less likely to wander than if you just have it sat on the shelf...people are often too lazy to investigate inside the bag...
    student100 hasn't been a student since 2007...
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    i'll second that...and wrap things in tin foil. students, as a general rule, tend to like nice bright packaging that tells in clear and simple writing how many minutes to microwave for (i jest, dont all shoot at once :D ) so make things look weird and uninviting scares people off.

(this worked for me, even though i was sharing with a load of free-riding vultures!)
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family