We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Student overdraft is going to begin charging interest
Comments
-
BTW. I have £400 in a HTB savings account. Go on and tell me that I'm being ridiculous having savings, when I have these debts?0
-
As I said, this depends on how your overdraft charges are structured.
Generally, yes, you are doing this wrong and I have already said this before:
MSE: Repay Debts or Save?...if it's interest, not just a flat fee, you pay more interest on the debit balance if you have a separate account with a credit balance.
If the overdraft and the CC are currently free, it's perfectly fine to have savings elsewhere. It makes sense to make small payments to the overdraft to demonstrate that you are working towards reducing the balance, and keep all money in a savings account earning interest - until the overdraft stops being free.0 -
The overdraft is flat fee, without any interest to come.
Credit cards are interest.
Assuming both CC (the most time sensitive one I have) and OD are both 1500 debt.
Credit card with APR (29.9 - need to check though this is from memory) after 0% period will end up being something like 1950 over a year.
Overdraft with daily fee after 0% period will end up being something like 2047.50 over a year.
However, its quite likely I can BT the credit card elsewhere at the time. The overdraft not so much. So my thinking is I should get the £400 savings into my current account and reduce the overdraft a good chunk, and then also build up from there and hopefully have it gone before September. As it will be quite difficult for me to get a money transfer of a large amount I would assume..0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards