2 jobs become 1 - redundancy

Options
Hello,

I am a PA and there is another PA that works with me at my company. They are turning both our jobs into 1 which means that 1 of us will get made redundant. We are not being interviewed for the new role - managers will decide based on criteria they have set. I do not want the new job as I think it will be impossible to do (we are both very busy already) and either way I think the other PA will get it. She's been there 6 years, me less than 2.
My question is: Do I pretend I want the job? Or do I come clean? I would much rather get paid redundancy to leave a job I dislike and don't want to risk them not offering me it!
Thank you.

Comments

• TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,055 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    They don't have to pay redundancy if you have been employed less than 2 years.
  • katie_saver
    katie_saver Posts: 138 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    But I would get statutory?
  • tizerbelle
    tizerbelle Posts: 1,826 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    But I would get statutory?
    No. You have to have worked somewhere for 2 years before you are eligible for statutory redundancy pay. The company may, if they choose, make a redundancy payment with less than 2 years service but they don't have to.
  • Blackbeard_of_Perranporth
    Options
    Keep stum, keep mum.
    Update the cv just in case!
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Statutory redundancy for less than 2 years is zero.

If you think the job will become too much work what does the other person think?

Classic case where you both use the consultation to raise concerns and ask which bits of the jobs are getting dropped and make sure the people you work for know the further down the pecking order they are the ones that will lose out.

Could be they have another plan get rid of one of you then realise they need someone else and bosses friend/kid starts after a couple of weeks.
  • katie_saver
    Options
    Thanks. We both think that the job will be far too much for one person. Had first consultation meeting where we individually raised our concerns. They admitted that we had both pretty much said the same thing and they agreed with us. Now it's for them to decide. However, seeing as was last in, I'm 99% sure it will be me to go.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As statutory would only be a few quid, it's not worthwhile basing your decision on a redundancy payout. You either want to stay, or not. That should be the single choice to make.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure