Defaulted current account on my CR

Options
Sometime around 2009 I was financially over-extended whilst I lost my job. I couldnt afford to meet my monthly commitments and defaulted on numerous accounts.

Fast forward to today, where I have done my best to come good and settled all bar one of my accounts. I earn half what I used to so was not easy.

My final defaulted account is a current account, which according to my CR was defaulted on 17 may '10.

My question is - Is this statute barred by the 6 year limit after that date? I am unsure as it also has an overdraft.

Thanks in advance.

s

Comments

• National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi

With an overdraft debt the time limit for being statute barred starts running from when it was originally called in and you were asked to repay it. There’s a good chance this was around the time they put the default on your credit file.

If 6 years pass (5 years in Scotland) without you making a payment, acknowledging it in writing and if the creditor doesn’t get a CCJ it will be statute barred.

James
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure