MSE News: Help to Save scheme to offer £1,200 bonus to low-paid workers

Options

Comments

• Jhoney_2
    Jhoney_2 Posts: 1,198 Forumite
    edited 20 March 2016 at 11:48AM
    Options
    What a malarkey. It's not a *bad* scheme but for the average skint minimum wage worker the four years from today they'll have to wait to see their bonus materialise (hopefully, if the scheme is still in place, if the bureaucracy doesn't hold up or reject their claim, etc...) may as well be a lifetime.

Why not just simplify things by offering a Help to Save regular savings account to anybody receiving Universal Credit, deposits capped at £50 a month, offering an AER of 50%? Or simply raise minimum wage by an equivalent figure?

Because there is no way to monitor how it is spent (for future reductions to benefits/cuts) and because GO knows that it will not be saved just like the rest of the money people recieve but choose currently not to save.

It's not a very well thought out idea, although I am actually pleased they are trying to do something!

Lack of support for the young, sick and disabled people of this country is appalling.
  • Over62
    Over62 Posts: 123 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If a person on benefits can afford to save £50 per month, are we not paying them too much in benefits?
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,956 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Over62 wrote: »
    If a person on benefits can afford to save £50 per month, are we not paying them too much in benefits?

A fair question but the answer is no, as people on benefits have one-off expenditures (boiler breaking down etc) to pay for just like the rest of us. There is nothing wrong with people on benefits having rainy day savings, indeed they probably should. It saves them having to apply for emergency loans or go to Wonga.

Of course, this scheme isn't much use for rainy day savings, as if that's what you're saving for you would expect a "rainy day" to arrive and the savings to be spent before you became eligible to claim your government bonus. But it's no surprise that it doesn't make sense as it's a stupid reheated New Labour idea.
  • Garethgrew
    Garethgrew Posts: 190 Forumite
    Options
    What interest rate does it work out at? Can you get any interest on the £50month as well as the bonus after 4 years?
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 17 September 2016 at 3:38PM
    Options
    diamonds wrote: »
    It seems reported any government provided assistance will qualify, although not HB or CTX which may be paid by the DWP but administered by councils on their behalf.
    Sorry for the delay in responding
    Could you please elaborate on this answer ?
    Are you saying that, for example DLA counts towards income ?
    If so - how does a claimant get this added benefit ?
    I work for 10 hours per week on virtually minimum pay to top up my works disability pension and DLA - So any added income would be welcome
  • darkovo
    darkovo Posts: 209 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This is now live:
    https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/help-to-save/about-help-to-save

Not sure if there's a newer thread on MSE, I couldn't find one!
  • Poppycat1
    Poppycat1 Posts: 376 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have just opened one of these. Really easy to do via Gateway. Sounds great.

£50 x 12 = £600 x 4 = £2400
    Plus £1200 bonus at end.
    Total £3,600
    Without overpayments: 15 years, 1 monthsBecause of overpayments: 10 years, 10 months left until paid off
  • Petriix
    Petriix Posts: 2,066 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I've just opened one. There was a link at the bottom of the page after renewing my tax credits. The interest works out at just under 19% PA (20.6% EAR). That makes it significantly better than overpaying the mortgage and marginally better than the rate on my credit card.

It looks like you can withdraw the money at any time, but you would ultimately be reducing the bonus you would get in the end. Ideally I'll find a way of paying in the full amount each month for the whole 4 years; but with the safety of being able to access the money in an emergency or just stop paying in if necessary. Looks like there is no risk to this so it's a no-brainer.

I need to find out if it's one account per family or if both adults can get one each.
  • Dandytf
    Dandytf Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 31 May 2018 at 9:40PM
    Options
    I'm due to make 3rd payment tomorrow via standing order.
    Hopefully across 2-4 yrs gain max savings allowance.
    I'ts not the 'bonus' that motivates me more that this type of savings account could have been made available years ago.
    I'm not at the stage where I have forgot about the monthly 'debit' though I get a bit of encouragement if I log once every few weeks.
    This type of savings account shoiuld be heavily advertised on t.v. And media sources etc to allow as much qualified people to open and account if required.
    I'ts form Gov it's online -no searching for docs etc to visit a bank branch required.
    Nice bit of competition for mainstream banks that entices people to save.
    Good luck mser's -let's continue to use this thread to log progrsss, I'll start maybe next few days when my latest debit is 'saved'
    This saving is a new experience for me which I'm enjoying
    Replenished CRA Reports.2020 Nissan Leaf 128-149 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb
  • Dandytf
    Dandytf Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    That was a while for 2nd June £50 deposit via S.O. To show up from rbs.
    h2s online only displayed this deposit today 5th June.
    Continue enjoy saving mser's whilst I learn to continue hopefully each month over next few years.
    Replenished CRA Reports.2020 Nissan Leaf 128-149 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure