AHF Furniture Sofa Cancellation

Options
Hi,

I ordered a sofa (in store from AHF) about 2 weeks ago, it is due to arrive in another 6 weeks.

I have had a change of heart though and don't want that sofa (or any of their other ones).

I didn't pay a deposit or anything. Just arranged to pay on finance over 4 years.

If I call them up and cancel do they have to accept this? If not what can I do to make them more likely to agree?

Thanks

Comments

• Poppie68
    Poppie68 Posts: 4,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    HenryHippo wrote: »
    Hi,

I ordered a sofa (in store from AHF) about 2 weeks ago, it is due to arrive in another 6 weeks.

I have had a change of heart though and don't want that sofa (or any of their other ones).

I didn't pay a deposit or anything. Just arranged to pay on finance over 4 years.

If I call them up and cancel do they have to accept this? If not what can I do to make them more likely to agree?

Thanks

You may be in time to cancel the finance but you may still be Stuck with paying for the sofa.
    You need to ring them to find out but your contract should clarify the matter.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,

Thanks
    You are entirely reliant on any cancellation policy the store may have offered.

You have no statutory right to cancel an order made in store.
  • HenryHippo
    HenryHippo Posts: 197 Forumite
    Options
    Poppie68 wrote: »
    You may be in time to cancel the finance but you may still be Stuck with paying for the sofa.
    You need to ring them to find out but your contract should clarify the matter.
    wealdroam wrote: »
    You are entirely reliant on any cancellation policy the store may have offered.

You have no statutory right to cancel an order made in store.

Says on my receipt "no cancellations accepted" :(

Nothing to do except call them and say I've changed my mind are they able to cancel as the sofa isn't due to arrive for another 6 weeks, so presumably is barely even started yet?
  • HenryHippo
    Options
    Bump. My sofa hasn't arrived yet and is about 3 weeks overdue. Does this give me a leg to stand on if I want to cancel?
  • wealdroam
    Options
    Bump. My sofa hasn't arrived yet and is about 3 weeks overdue. Does this give me a leg to stand on if I want to cancel?
    You need to add 'time is of the essence' to your contract.

Read this section of MSE's Failed Delivery article for further detail.

There's a template letter to help you.
  • HenryHippo
    Options
    You need to add 'time is of the essence' to your contract.

Read this section of MSE's Failed Delivery article for further detail.

There's a template letter to help you.

Cheers for that. It's too late to add anything to the contract though as that was signed back in Feb

Can anyone advise me what they would do, as I wait for a sofa that I really don't want that is overdue? Thanks
  • wealdroam
    Options
    Cheers for that. It's too late to add anything to the contract though as that was signed back in Feb
    Did you miss this in that article?...
    It is also possible to add 'time is of the essence' after you've ordered, especially if they are playing games with delivery. However, companies may refuse and then it'll be up to the courts to decide.
    Click on See how to add time is of the essence immediately following that quote to see how to do it.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 5 May 2016 at 7:28PM
    Options
    Any term stating no cancellations accepted would be unfair. The most they can say is that if you wrongfully cancel the contract, you may be liable for actual losses incurred by them.

However, if the finance is provided by a third party then you should have a 14 day cooling off period - which also extends to linked contracts due to the consumer credit act and also unfair terms in consumer contract regulations.

Some traders may try and tell you that you still need to complete the agreement (mostly places like DFS), but they'll fold when pushed on the issue because they know they don't have a leg to stand on.

ETA: The above isn't true in all cases involving finance though, just specific circumstances (much like s75 protection doesn't apply to all finance).
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • HenryHippo
    Options
    Did you miss this in that article?...

Click on See how to add time is of the essence immediately following that quote to see how to do it.

Thanks. I will draft a letter to that effect, and cross my fingers that they do not deliever in the time frame, and then I don't need to pay for it.
    Any term stating no cancellations accepted would be unfair. The most they can say is that if you wrongfully cancel the contract, you may be liable for actual losses incurred by them.

However, if the finance is provided by a third party then you should have a 14 day cooling off period - which also extends to linked contracts due to the consumer credit act and also unfair terms in consumer contract regulations.

Some traders may try and tell you that you still need to complete the agreement (mostly places like DFS), but they'll fold when pushed on the issue because they know they don't have a leg to stand on.

ETA: The above isn't true in all cases involving finance though, just specific circumstances (much like s75 protection doesn't apply to all finance).

Too late for my 14 day cooling off period :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport