MoneySaving Poll: Should Sunday be like any other shopping day?

Options
124»

Comments

• zorber
    zorber Posts: 1,107 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As previously posted. Everyone who doesn't work weekends yet want shops to open longer should pause and think, how would they like it if suddenly their work wanted them to work weekends, start at 5am in the morning some days, finish at midnight others.
    Yes its convenient to be open all the time however people need to be better organised shops are already open 6 days long hours.

I work in retail and rarely get weekends off, family life for me forget it, my family already do lots with out me and I miss out.

As other people point out there is only so much money to be spent and by spreading out when this is spent it destroys efficiencies and ends up costing the consumer more.

As the trend seems to be more and more customers going shopping at Lidl or Aldi it seems to me people don't want to pay more for their shopping.
    "Save the cheerleader - Save the world"
  • System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Happyinflorida

Most Next workers that are forced to work Boxing Day, earn less than the cost of taxis taking them to work and back, as taxis are double or triple rate. As most retail workers don't drive for various reasons

If social media picked this up, people would boycott Next
  • Jenwales_2
    Options
    socks_uk wrote: »
    It doesn't have to be existing staff that work more hours (unless they want to) but more likely new staff. I work in a school and also work at a supermarket at the weekends. I get bored during the school holidays so I put myself forward to work extra. Supermarkets generally employ people on part-time basis and hope they want to grab any overtime going... usually we do!

Why do people assume people don't want to work on Sundays?

Well, I work in retail and only the manager ever wants to work on Sundays. I guess the difference is if you work in a school you always have Sundays off and you choose to work weekends.
    Some people probably don't mind.
    But I do:
    Sunday used to be family day, we'd go out for the day to Tenby on Easter and have family meals together. But since I started work I can't do that. Sunday is often the busiest day of the week and because public transport is useless on Sundays if I don't leave as soon as the shop shuts I have to wait an hour for the next bus-an hour less with my family. My mother works in a school so I only really get to see her on the weekend as I can work evenings and weekends.

Retail only hires part time workers because then they don't have to give them many hours and there are many retail workers struggling because they won't give us overtime or decent contracts.

I find it funny that people who have good jobs in a school get bored and then take a summer job. It's unfair on the teenagers you are teaching because they could be doing that summer job. But I guess it's up to you really what you want to do. Myself if I worked in a school I'd volunteer in the summer, I'd love to volunteer but I never have the same hours, I never have a chance to get bored unless I'm only working a few days a week 16 hours, but then I spend my time looking for another job or doing online surveys and spending the extra time with famiy.
    And there's always the chance I could get that call to come in on the only day I have off with my boyfriend...

Sorry to rant, I've had a bad week.
    I think the problem is all people do is shop because they don't know what else to do. If you're a shopper you'll want the shops to be open sundays but ask them if they'll work on Sunday and I bet not many will.
    People who do want to work Sundays are probably a minority, if you do then get a job in retail so those you don't want to can have the time off:rotfl:
  • Jenwales_2
    Options
    This could easily start a discussion on working in retail in general, when ever people talk about work they talk about the 9-5 with bank holidays off.
    Retail is never thought off, although I'm sure there are more shops than any other business.
  • hannerrbabes
    Options
    I completely agree with you! I work in a post office that opens every day of the week and it is sooo handy. I often post parcels for ebay/amazon, so it's an extra bonus working there.
    I wish shops were open longer as sometimes Sunday is my only day off, but I'm so restricted about the shops I can go in.
  • callum9999
    callum9999 Posts: 4,392 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why am I not surprised Christians are once again seeking to force their religion onto the rest of us.

Though at least they have an excuse, being a member of a proselytising organisation. The people who haven't been brainwashed into believing Sunday is sacred yet want shops forced closed are just being mind-numbingly selfish. "I don't want to work or shop on a Sunday so I demand others be forbidden from doing so by law".

If you're so sure that your absurd claims that the overwhelming majority of people don't want to work on a Sunday and need to be protected from it are true, why not allow Sunday trading and implement laws that enshrine the right to Sunday off? It's rather telling that instead of trying to come up with a way to compromise so everyone's rights are respected, you jump straight to "enshrine in law exactly what I want, sod anyone else".
  • cloud1
    cloud1 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    As long as there are some protections for those concerned about being overworked then I can't see any problems. Getting people who need jobs, or more hours a better chance is a good thing. People in this thread also say that it's not economically viable, but if this was the case the shops wouldn't extend their hours. Not even going to address the religious few.
  • mouthyman
    mouthyman Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The changes were voted down entirely due to the Scottish Nasty Party wanting to make political capital and to stick 2 fingers up at England and Wales. The Mid Lothian question needs properly fixing once and for all!

It would not have obligated shops to open, but given local authorities an option of allowing it in their areas. Anyway this is all hot air now, as it is not going to be put before Parliament in the near future.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure