Wedding venue breach of contract? Help needed please!!!

Hi, I am new this site and just wanted to see if anybody can give me an help!

I am getting married on 3rd June this year and booked wedding in August 2015. I am having both ceremony and reception in the same place and its a huge old church that's no longer being used as a church so we are having a civil ceremony followed by a religious blessing. I fell in love with altar and thought it would be the perfect backdrop to the days events and couldn't wait to have our pictures taken in front of it. Everything was fine and then at Christmas I received an email from the wedding coordinator just wishing us happy Christmas but then also saying she had attached a newsletter about the new Wing that is being built starting in jan 16. I read the letter and was instantly worrying that my guests would be turning up to builders and machinery and called to make an appointment straight after Christmas as I knew nothing about this when booking. When I went in and spoke to the coordinator she reassured me the building works were non invasive and that there would be nothing happening on the day and because I loved the inside so much I thought well once everybody is in then nobody will be thinking about the outside so left feeling ok about the whole thing. In that meeting I had arranged he band would be able to perform on the altar, that I could fill it with extra candles. Then on the 25th Feb she phoned me to ask if I could come in and look at the room. And basically the altar that I love is now covered in scaffolding floor to ceiling about 20 metres high. She said it has been unforeseen but I have since found web articles dating back from 2014 to say the venue had received funding for this work. And an article in January to say the work to the altar is being started the same time as the new wing being built. I am absolutely devastated, they have draped the scaffolding with awful draping and it's not what I had chose the venue for. I have asked for a schedule of works to see at what height the scaffolding will be at my wedding and she says they have t got one yet have been given a completion date for 1st July. Would I have a case if I go to a solicitor I am just devastated was already upset over the building work outside and then this ? Any help would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    It smacks of the wedding co-ordinator not being aware of all of the work that was being done.

I wish I knew what to suggest - they won't stop the work (sounds like it's necessary safety work, from what I read of the press releases) so it's either work with it and ask for a discount, or fight for a refund and then try to find another venue at relatively short notice.

You won't be the only wedding so affected, but it's possible they don't have any weddings booked just now. Have you asked them what they will be doing to disguise the scaffolding/works during weddings and events? Are you local enough to keep checking on the place, if they appease you in some way?
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • Hi

Thanks for your reply, they have covered the main part up with a voile material and there is still some scaffolding on show but it's not what I would have or want at my wedding. There was a wedding there on sat and apparently there are 20 weddings in between now and when it is due to finish. I definitely think they have known about this when I booked my wedding there and have left it until the very last minute. I know of a bride who has cancelled hers there and the wedding coordinator said to her ' I'm sure we can waver the cancellation fee'! I am trying to do everything by email now so I have it all in writing but the wedding coordinator will not answer one question that I ask and just says we are passing on all information when we have it. It's so frustrating and I love 250 mile away from the venue. There has been no mention of any discount in any way. We are due to pay a final instalment but They just don't seem bothered at all and I can't see them offering anything. Ive tried to find another venue and can't and I'm tied into all my other suppliers so can't cancel it postpone so feel like I have no choice to go ahead and I'm going to have to get the scaffolding dressed myself to my standards as their thin voile is not at my standard but this is all at extra cost? They have taken any excitement and joy out of the wedding planning and I'm now filled with dread and anxiety. I don't know if it's best to Pay them and then deal with it afterwards or demand compensation from them. I just don't want to threaten solicitors if I don't stand a chance against them ?
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Do you have insurance?
  • When she phoned me to ask me to come in I immediately took insurance out as I thought something was wrong but I don't think I'll be covered by that now ?
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Reb101185 wrote: »
    When she phoned me to ask me to come in I immediately took insurance out as I thought something was wrong but I don't think I'll be covered by that now ?
    Phone the insurance company and ask! It's not like car insurance, you don't get an increased premium next year (next time!). [Maybe not tell the insurance company that you took out the policy after the first phone call that alerted you to a possible problem .... I bet someone comes along and says that is fraud ....]

I'd try to negotiate a discount at this point, ahead of making final payment, rather than afterwards. Have a quick read of Martin's haggling tips on the main site :)
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • Thanks I will have a look at the haggle tips. I've organised a meeting with the manager for 19th March when I am next home so hopefully he will have more information than the wedding coordinator. It does all seem very secretive and all I want from them is honesty so I can get my head around how much scaffolding im going to have to deal with 😱 .
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Read your insurance T&Cs and see what they say. There's no harm asking the insurer if they are able to help settle the issue particulary as you didn't know the issue prior to taking out the policy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure