PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Cheese on toast with a twist!

Options
1235»

Comments

• loveka
    loveka Posts: 535 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My mum made this! She called it cheese and onion. Served it with cabbage... it always always split. It was awful really!

It was made with Cheshire cheese. She.had an Irish background too.
  • Anne_Marie_2
    Anne_Marie_2 Posts: 2,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Remember a friend of mine who hailed from Yorkshire, and said it was a local dish, made a cheese and milk concoction, which she poured over chips for supper, it may have had onions in it, but was so long ago I can't remember. It was very nice after a night out at the pub!
    I tried it, but it just split, whereas hers didn't, but never learned the secret.
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd always thought that the proper way to make Welsh Rarebit was to make a thick cheese sauce with some beer in it and pour it over the toast, and that just putting slices of cheese on toast and melting it under the grill was the 'lazy' way of doing it :D

Out of interest I googled and found this on Wikipedia

"Hannah Glasse in her 1747 cookbook "the Art of Cookery" gives recipes for "Scotch rabbit", "Welch rabbit" and two versions of "English rabbit".
    To make a Scotch rabbit, toast the bread very nicely on both sides, butter it, cut a slice of cheese about as big as the bread, toast it on both sides, and lay it on the bread.
    To make a Welch rabbit, toast the bread on both sides, then toast the cheese on one side, lay it on the toast, and with a hot iron brown the other side. You may rub it over with mustard.
    To make an English rabbit, toast the bread brown on both sides, lay it in a plate before the fire, pour a glass of red wine over it, and let it soak the wine up. Then cut some cheese very thin and lay it very thick over the bread, put it in a tin oven before the fire, and it will be toasted and browned presently. Serve it away hot.
    Or do it thus. Toast the bread and soak it in the wine, set it before the fire, rub butter over the bottom of a plate, lay the cheese on, pour in two or three spoonfuls of white wine, cover it with another plate, set it over a chafing-dish of hot coals for two or three minutes, then stir it till it is done and well mixed. You may stir in a little mustard; when it is enough lay it on the bread, just brown it with a hot shovel.
    Buck rarebit (Welsh rarebit with an egg)

Served with an egg on top, a Welsh rarebit is known as a buck rabbit or a golden buck.
    Welsh rarebit blended with tomato (or tomato soup) is known as Blushing Bunny."

So many variations. No wonder most people just slap some sliced cheese on the toast :rotfl:
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Anne_Marie wrote: »
    Remember a friend of mine who hailed from Yorkshire, and said it was a local dish, made a cheese and milk concoction, which she poured over chips for supper, it may have had onions in it, but was so long ago I can't remember. It was very nice after a night out at the pub!
    I tried it, but it just split, whereas hers didn't, but never learned the secret.

Chips and cheese is a local 'speciality' over here, but it's also a national dish in Canada!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport