We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

what vegetable seeds can I sow now?

Options
Hi, i've started growing some salad and veg in the last few months, but I'm wondering what it would be ok to sow over the next few weeks? I live in the south west - so fairly warm. I've got space in the ground, and for pots. no green house, but can use conservatory style utlity room- no heating in there though. any ideas gratefully received especially some with fairly quick results- sorry i'm a bit impatient , worse than the kids!!!:o
Word for 2023 …PROACTIVE 🧡 2023 -decluttering campaign 1020/2023 ⭐️⭐️Saving towards paying off car in November…£720/£1500 🚗

Comments

• LJM
    LJM Posts: 4,535 Forumite
    Options
    interestining question id love to know too as ive just cleared my plots and they are standing bare atm
    :xmastree:Is loving life right now,yes I am a soppy fool who believes in the simple things in life :xmastree:
  • tiff
    tiff Posts: 6,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    I would also be interested in the answer to this - anyone?
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • ixwood
    ixwood Posts: 2,550 Forumite
    Options
    Me too... :)
  • arkonite_babe
    Options
    I'd like an answer for that as well, for those of us who are further North!
  • jimbo_the_jetset
    Options
    I got a RHS planner a while back but that says there's not alot to sow right now.

But I sowed some spring onions over the weekend in the hope they might get there before the cold sets in, if not they can overwinter for an early crop in the spring. Well thats what it said on the packet.

You can plant spinach now I think (winter crop variety).

Salad crops can always grow on the windowsill
  • katskorner
    katskorner Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    Options
    Yes you can plant spring onion seeds now to overwinter - get the variety "White Lisbon".

I have got spinach seedlings, carrot seedlings, salad bowl lettuce and beetroot coming along after sowing a couple of weeks ago. Give it a go - what is there to lose. This year has been so bonkers that anything is possible!
    3 kids(DS1 6 Nov, DS2 8 Feb, DS3 24 Dec) a hubby and two cats - I love to save every penny I can!
    :beer:
  • Mozart321
    Options
    You can sow and grow Pak Choi in a matter of weeks..

hmm... intriguing.
  • donna73
    donna73 Posts: 540 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    thanks mozart! pak choi sounds like my kind of plant. I'll get some seeds
    Word for 2023 …PROACTIVE 🧡 2023 -decluttering campaign 1020/2023 ⭐️⭐️Saving towards paying off car in November…£720/£1500 🚗
  • Maz
    Maz Posts: 1,405 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have been told (don't know how true it is) that you can sow carrots all year round, dependant on the variety. And spuds.
    'The only thing that helps me keep my slender grip on reality is the friendship I have with my collection of singing potatoes'

Sleepy J.
  • marybakers
    Options
    I grow a lot of veg in my garden,it really is trial in error sometimes.I try and bring them on in my mini greenhouse first though.got cabbages,brussel sprouts,beetroot,carrots and turnip in my garden just now and there coming on a treat.I also had batch of strawberries too which i made loads of jam with for family.just got small patch for my veg.etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure