HELP - Compass Debt Counsellors - CREDITORS MEETING 30th March in Leicester

Options

Comments

• fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,904 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    It's high time the regulator took the bull by the horns and sorted the debt management industry out once and for all.
    Debt management plans should be free, for everyone, funding should come from other sources, it's time to close this money pit loophole these companies exploit !!!!!

Even making them a regulated product and charging a small, means tested setup fee, bringing them into line with other debt remedies, is better than the current system of exploitation.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • fermi
    edited 11 March 2016 at 9:02AM
    Options
    Letter to creditors and details of meetings.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mrlphzqexzcezp7/RMR_Letter_to_Creditors.PDF?dl=0
    There is a meeting of Creditors on the 21st March in Leicester. ( see letter below/above ) There is a form that ALL creditors ( people who are owed money by Compass Debt Counsellors or RMR Financial Services ) should complete with details of the money owed. This needs to be returned to AABRS before the 20th March.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

• dancingfairy
    dancingfairy Posts: 9,069 Forumite
    Options
    sourcrates wrote: »
    It's high time the regulator took the bull by the horns and sorted the debt management industry out once and for all.
    Debt management plans should be free, for everyone, funding should come from other sources, it's time to close this money pit loophole these companies exploit !!!!!

Even making them a regulated product and charging a small, means tested setup fee, bringing them into line with other debt remedies, is better than the current system of exploitation.
    I'm not sure it will ever happen but in my opinion they should be regulated. They should clearly state the costs up front, how much is passed on to creditors and when. Client money should either be completely ringfenced or there should be a mandatory insurance scheme with the fscs should the company go under.
    Df
    Making my money go further with MSE :j
    How much can I save in 2012 challenge
    75/1200 :eek:
  • esmerellda
    esmerellda Posts: 2,237 Forumite
    edited 10 March 2016 at 11:01PM
    Options
    meg123.. wrote: »
    hi as anybody been contacted by Abbey Solicitors,compass signed me up with these 3wks ago.
    I have to pay the £250.00 a month for 12mths and i will be debt free. Not sure if this is a scam after Compass going bust and taking £6500.00 of my money plus i paid them £5000.00 for set up back in 2008.Please can some on help

Did you get any paperwork from Abbey ? Terms / Contract anything ? Do you know any more about the service you have signed up to ? what happens if you're not debt free after 12 months ? what if one of the lenders takes you to court ? do you get a refund ?

Abbey are a solicitors firm but they don't have a CCA licence... whether they need one or not is a little up in the air with recent arguments between FCA & SRA and it depends on the actual service they are offering and on what basis. There's no case law or reputation I can find regards them and CCA debt at all.

Personally I'd check the cancellation terms and speak with CAB/Stepchange/anyone before paying £3k to this company.

LegalBeagles
  • fermi
    Options
    Was tweeted this last night.

Scary and very sad.

uXAUkZz.png

• JimFromSurrey
    Options
    i've struggled for 5 years, making monthly £220 payments to compass, i'm self employed and work from home but have a long standing back problem, which is how i got badly into debt in the first place ...

i had £8,000 or thereabouts in the kitty with compass, and was looking forward to making some full and final offers this year ...

now it seems all this is gone, my creditors are on my back already (looks like they are wasting no time jumping on those who were with compass) and i just feel like crying ... not the sort of thing a 48 year old breadline businessman should be doing

surely there should be some protection against this sort of thing?
  • esmerellda
    esmerellda Posts: 2,237 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Jim,

So sorry to hear you've been caught up in this. It seems people's creditors were informed before customers - you should communicate with the lenders and arrange to keep your DMP going if that is what you want to do. Possibly get in touch with Stepchange - they are experienced at taking over failed firms DMPs or look at managing it your self - NedCab have a good guide to run your own self managed DMP https://nedcab.cabmoney.org.uk/debtremedy.asp. You should ask all your creditors for full statements of your account so you can take stock and work out exactly where things stand and how much has been going from Compass to your creditors.

If you've been in the DMP for five years there may be other things you can do but be very wary of any firms getting in touch with you and offering to write off your debts if you pay them the £220 a month for the next year.

Yes there should be protection, and savings accounts with DMP firms should be heavily regulated :( It is a market the FCA are looking at at the moment so hopefully some strengthening of regulation will take place, but as ever too slow to protect customers of this firm, or of a previous firm Bournes which went in similar circumstances.

Make sure you complete that form from AABRS and get it into them asap with your claim ( Fermi posted it http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5424617&page=2#34 )
    LegalBeagles
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,904 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    These stories of people losses fills me with rage and anger, they really do.
    Please do not entrust your money to companies like this, if they go belly up, you have absolutely no rights to any compensation whatsoever, its not like a bank, where your money (up to a certain level) is protected, there are no such safeguards with these people.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • fermi
    Options
    i've struggled for 5 years, making monthly £220 payments to compass, i'm self employed and work from home but have a long standing back problem, which is how i got badly into debt in the first place ...

i had £8,000 or thereabouts in the kitty with compass, and was looking forward to making some full and final offers this year ...

now it seems all this is gone, my creditors are on my back already (looks like they are wasting no time jumping on those who were with compass) and i just feel like crying ... not the sort of thing a 48 year old breadline businessman should be doing

surely there should be some protection against this sort of thing?

Really sorry to hear that.

Can't add much to what has already been said, apart from if you get contacting the free charitable advice agencies now, there WILL be a way through this for you.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure