Weekly signings for jsa, moving over to UC soon

Options
Hello,

My jcp is running weekly signings (and has for 8 months). So each week I have to sign on apparently, is this right? They say it's for everyone. Is there a get out claws?

As every other week I'm called in on my non official signing on date they pay expenses. Apparently this is 25p a mile, is this paid for the return journey? Is there any other modes of transport that can be claimed?

They are running uc for single and simple claimants. But expect to roll this out to everyone in a few months. Will there be any change for me as a single person just claiming jsa and CTS? Can I work part time and still keep signing on? Will this weekly signing end when UC is brought in?

Thanks

Comments

• paragon909
    paragon909 Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    Options
    Hello,

My jcp is running weekly signings (and has for 8 months). So each week I have to sign on apparently, is this right? They say it's for everyone. Is there a get out claws?

As every other week I'm called in on my non official signing on date they pay expenses. Apparently this is 25p a mile, is this paid for the return journey? Is there any other modes of transport that can be claimed?

They are running uc for single and simple claimants. But expect to roll this out to everyone in a few months. Will there be any change for me as a single person just claiming jsa and CTS? Can I work part time and still keep signing on? Will this weekly signing end when UC is brought in?

Thanks

DWP can impose what they like on claimants as long as it's within law. And imposing weekly sign on is. And it was normally used for people who was out of work for a while or claiming for years.

There is no "get out claws" unless you sign off.
  • happenstance
    happenstance Posts: 365 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks thought so. I'm a new claimant so it's not that, they are doing it for every single person.

I think I've found my get out, I'm starting my own business so can move onto something different for a few months, employment support or something
  • tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks thought so. I'm a new claimant so it's not that, they are doing it for every single person.

I think I've found my get out, I'm starting my own business so can move onto something different for a few months, employment support or something

New Enterprise Allowance. You might want to do some research before going down that route, it's not as simple as a "get out" for signing on.
  • RuthnJasper
    RuthnJasper Posts: 4,032 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

Wishing you the best of luck for your new business. Hope all goes well for you. x
  • Milly30
    Milly30 Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    I also had to sign on weekly and show evidence i was looking for work, as far as i remember i had to do this for a few months then it was reverted back to normal.

Also if you miss a signing on day without a good reason they mark it down as fail to attend and probably hit you with a sanction.
  • bobby_99
    bobby_99 Posts: 48 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    i started claiming jsa as well and been going every 2 weeks i dont know why you going every week
  • paragon909
    paragon909 Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    Options
    It use to be the fact that if you claimed JSA for more than 6 months to 1 year they asked you to come in every week and claim.
  • bobby_99
    bobby_99 Posts: 48 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    what about now do they ask you to come every week even before 6 months?
  • konark
    konark Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    Options
    The Job Centre usually ask you to come in every week for the first 3 months, then you go onto fortnightly signing. It's just to give you a little extra help looking for work during the first few weeks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure