Power of Attorney

I have Power of Attorney over my father's financial affairs as he no longer has the mental capacity to look after them himself due to Alzeimers- this is held jointly and severally with his partner.

I am having problems getting information from his partner with regards the existence of his bank accounts- for instance, I was only told about one account, but have since independently found and registered the POA with a further three banks, by simply popping into banks in my local High Street to ask if they hold accounts in his name. The bank statements have been quite enlightening about his financial affairs!

I have two questions:

1. How can I find out if he has any other bank accounts in his name if his partner doesn't tell me, other than visiting them and asking them?

2. How do I find out if he has any other assets, for instance stocks and shares, if his partner doesn't tell me?

Comments

• Yorkshireman99
    Yorkshireman99 Posts: 5,470 Forumite
    madam7172 wrote: »
    I have Power of Attorney over my father's financial affairs as he no longer has the mental capacity to look after them himself due to Alzeimers- this is held jointly and severally with his partner.

I am having problems getting information from his partner with regards the existence of his bank accounts- for instance, I was only told about one account, but have since independently found and registered the POA with a further three banks, by simply popping into banks in my local High Street to ask if they hold accounts in his name. The bank statements have been quite enlightening about his financial affairs!

I have two questions:

1. How can I find out if he has any other bank accounts in his name if his partner doesn't tell me, other than visiting them and asking them?

2. How do I find out if he has any other assets, for instance stocks and shares, if his partner doesn't tell me?
    No easy way really. Is the partner one of the attorneys? Are you saying that his partner is not complying with the POA?
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,618 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Is the partner using her powers to manage any of his assets?

You are both able to do this independant of each other, but it would be far better if you were open with each other.
  • Can you go and visit and trawl through the paperwork? Somewhat obvious point and presume you can't? It seems impossible to manage someone's finances without full knowledge.
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,654 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Is this an Enduring or Lasting power of Attorney?

I assume that you have registered it with the PGO? I strongly advise that you speak to the PGO urgently https://www.gov.uk/report-concern-about-attorney-deputy.

In at least one case reported here an attorney who failed to take action to prevent another attorney's inappropriate expenditure was held partly responsible and had a cost order made against them (the offender had to pay a LOT more).
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport