Young Driver insurance

Options
Hi all,
As a 17 year old it is remarkably hard for me to insure a car and would like to know if anyone could help with suggestions for how to get it cheaper. To learn to drive alone I had to buy an add on insurance cover from marmalade for £60 a month for 3 months just as provisional insurance. Upon passing, I was going to be added on as an additional, not a main, driver on my mums' car. However this resulted in being quoted a £1700 price from both her company(admiral) and online. She has plus 20 years NCD and the car is a 1.2 Hyundai i20. This to me seemed ridiculous! She therefore wants me to consider a just add fuel deal, or buying a used car and insuring me on that, what should I do ?!

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    It's unlikely you'll find anyone offering a just buy fuel deal to anyone your age.

Do some dummy quotes online and you'll see what you can expect to pay on your own car (with nil NCD).

It is going to be expensive!

The cheapest option will be for your Mum to add you as a named driver, maybe considering companies that allow named drivers NCD to use on their own policy with them in the future
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure