Roku Streaming Stick - can't set it up

in Techie Stuff
6 replies 1.2K views
Hi,

I have just bought a Roku streaming stick. I fitted it in the hdmi slot of my Techwood TV and also attached it to the usb cable which fits in the mains. The light on the stick comes on.

However I can't get the hdmi channel or the set up screen at all, only the usual freeview channels with my usual remote. The roku remote therefore does not work.

I downloaded the app on my phone and iPad and can see the roku network but it needs a password which apparently I can only set up with the set up process on the TV which I can't access at all.

I'd appreciate help with this.

Replies

• grumpycrabgrumpycrab Forumite
    4.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Bake Off Boss!
    Forumite
    sasparillo wrote: »
    However I can't get the hdmi channel or the set up screen at all, only the usual freeview channels with my usual remote.
    It won't appear next to the freeview channels - you'll need to select an HDMI input - SOURCE on remote control.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • sasparillosasparillo Forumite
    338 Posts
    grumpycrab wrote: »
    It won't appear next to the freeview channels - you'll need to select an HDMI input - SOURCE on remote control.

Thanks grumpycrab. I've managed to find that but I'm having difficulty connecting to the internet now. I spent hours on live chat with the people from Roku but all they could say is that my router can't be set to WPA-PSK (TKIP). It's a Billion Bipac 7800N 802.11n Dual Wan ADSL2+ Firewall Router and it seems to be set to that, so I don't know what's going on (in other words I'm becoming grumpysasparillo!!!) :o
  • kwikbreakskwikbreaks Forumite
    9.2K Posts
    Forumite
    Have you tried searching the web for info?

This Youtube video goes through the setup in 5 minutes - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNCIGnHpd_s

The specs say the Roku is happy with WEP PSK and PSK2 encryption which pretty much covers them all.
    338 Posts
    kwikbreaks wrote: »
    Have you tried searching the web for info?

This Youtube video goes through the setup in 5 minutes - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNCIGnHpd_s

The specs say the Roku is happy with WEP PSK and PSK2 encryption which pretty much covers them all.

Hi Kwikbreaks,

Yep, I've done that. I reach software update and at about 40% it cuts out. It looks simple on the videos but it's not working out that way in practice!
  • kwikbreakskwikbreaks Forumite
    9.2K Posts
    Forumite
    OK sorry but I've not got this device.

From your original post it sounded like you weren't connecting correctly to your home wifi and that video looked to be just the job.
    338 Posts
    kwikbreaks wrote: »
    OK sorry but I've not got this device.

From your original post it sounded like you weren't connecting correctly to your home wifi and that video looked to be just the job.

Hi kwikbreaks, it connects but I can't get past the software update part. That is on the video which I watched first before I contacted Roku as it's the video that comes up when you search for Roku. The software update does about 40% then cuts out. The video is fine if everything runs smoothly but not in this case!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 this Saturday

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals