App to show what a PC is doing?

Options
Just getting used to my new W10 laptop and one thing that's different to my old laptop is the absence of a little light showing hard disk use and an icon on the task bar showing wifi activity.

So i'm occassionally waiting for something to happen and I've no idea what the PC is actually doing.

So, does anyone know of a simple little app that I might place on the desktop, or call up from the taskbar, to show hard disk activity and wifi activity. I don't mean historical data, I mean at that precice moment. I just want to get a handle on what's going on sometimes.

Thanks.

Comments

• debitcardmayhem
    Options
    C:\Windows\s y s t e m 3 2\perfmon.exe /res

without the spaces in sy.......(bluddy forum)
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    If you right click the task bar and choose task manager you can then choose the performance tab which will show cpu, memory, wifi and disk usage.

John
  • JohnB47
    JohnB47 Posts: 2,544 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks folks, i'll have a look at those suggestions. In the meantime, does this mean that there isn't a sort of daskboard app that would show this? Sorry, I'm not near my laptop at the moment, but it seems like the suggestions are a sort of workaround.

Thanks again.
  • RobTang
    RobTang Posts: 1,064 Forumite
    Options
    JohnB47 wrote: »
    Thanks folks, i'll have a look at those suggestions. In the meantime, does this mean that there isn't a sort of daskboard app that would show this? Sorry, I'm not near my laptop at the moment, but it seems like the suggestions are a sort of workaround.

Thanks again.

They removed the desktop widgets in vista because it was a massive security hole, they also used to use a fair number of cpu cycles but its probably less these days.

I suspect most people don't have need of these things because they are not that useful anyway.

If you still really want something like there is almost certainly a https://www.rainmeter.net/ plugin or skin that does what you want.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure