Any savings accounts that better current accounts?

Options

Comments

• krazyk
    krazyk Posts: 265 Forumite
    Options
    bigadaj wrote: »
    How did you apply for the bos account, if online then you can ring them up and apply with a better chance of success. My first account opened fine online, but my second was rejected, so I opened my second and third on the phone, not a problem just a little time consuming.

OK, noted. I applied online. I'll try Tesco second account first and go from there.

I've now got a Nationwide Regular Saver account set-up and transferring £500 a month. I have their Loyalty Savings Account where I've put the money over the £2500 FlexDirect money into (to ear at least some interest while I organise the other accounts).

I have an Aqua CLassic card too now and set up my monthly bills on it, only about £25 month and set to pay in full though I cannot see where you select the day the money is taken, if possible anyway.
  • krazyk
    Options
    bowlhead99 wrote: »
    Finally for all the pedants out there, actually you can't get £100 of interest from a TSB account after a year, because they stop paying interest at £2000, so after about half a year when you're sitting there with close to £2050 in the account, you are only earning interest on the first £2000, so you never quite earn enough 'interest on interest' to get up to the £100 total. You would only earn interest on that last £50 by moving it out into some other account instead as it was earned. However, with smaller amounts it works fine (e.g. £1000 for a year gives £50 and £1800 for a year gives £90).

Thanks for the detailed info. I'll adjust my formula. I thought that the 4.89 was an after tax figure (which wouldn't matter for the first £1000 interest after April. So I'll use the 4.89 figure. Thank.

Yep understand about the £2,000. I plan to move the interest out. I'll have to have an admin day each month for all this. :-)
  • krazyk
    Options
    bigadaj,

Did BOS say you already had an account with them? What did you say?
  • yellow44
    yellow44 Posts: 47 Forumite
    Options
    krazyk wrote: »
    bigadaj,

Did BOS say you already had an account with them? What did you say?

And also how long was it between opening your accounts
  • krazyk
    Options
    While I have Lloyds and TSB accounts, I'm thinking I should apply for their Monthly Saver accounts and put the max into each. I have up the monthly transfer from Santander 123 to the respective current accounts to include the max monthly regular saver amount (e.g. from £1.5k for Club Lloyds to £1.9k) and move the difference (e.g. £400 for Lloyds) into the regular saver account.
  • krazyk
    Options
    First Direct have a very good rate for their regular saver account, it's just a shame their current account has no incentive at all (unless you wish current accounts, which I don't want to).

Is it worth getting the First Direct current account purely for their regular saver account?

Same could be said for HSBC.

I'm not sure i understand the £10pm fee for the First Direct current account. If I pay a one-off £1k transfer I won't ever pay the £10pm fee?
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Is it worth getting the First Direct current account purely for their regular saver account?
    I have held an FD current account for that reason for over half a decade. The account balance at the end of each day has always been zero. I wouldn't dream of using FD for my current account as long as there are current accounts that pay interest.
    Same could be said for HSBC.
    and M&S
    I'm not sure i understand the £10pm fee for the First Direct current account. If I pay a one-off £1k transfer I won't ever pay the £10pm fee?
    Incorrect. Read the T&Cs again. Look for fee waiver, or similar term.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,662 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I hold a First Direct simply for the RS and closed down one of my Santander 123 accounts and switched to FD for the £150 bonus. You don't pay the £10 fee if you fund the FD with £1k per month or just open their e saver account and keep a nominal amount in there. You don't have to leave the £1k in the FD account. I also have a Lloyds Club and Rs, Santander 123, TSB and Rs, Nationwide and Rs and 1 BOS vantage and 2 Tesco. My 2nd BOS was declined too so I am going to wait until one of my Rs accounts mature and then try opening one by phone.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • krazyk
    Options
    colsten wrote: »
    Incorrect. Read the T&Cs again. Look for fee waiver, or similar term.

That's what I mean, you have to pay £1k to waive the fee. But not sure it's monthly or a one-off.
  • krazyk
    Options
    I hold a First Direct simply for the RS and closed down one of my Santander 123 accounts and switched to FD for the £150 bonus. You don't pay the £10 fee if you fund the FD with £1k per month or just open their e saver account and keep a nominal amount in there. You don't have to leave the £1k in the FD account. I also have a Lloyds Club and Rs, Santander 123, TSB and Rs, Nationwide and Rs and 1 BOS vantage and 2 Tesco. My 2nd BOS was declined too so I am going to wait until one of my Rs accounts mature and then try opening one by phone.

OK, cool. So it's a monthly transfer of £1k or a nominal amount held in their e-saver. OK, I'll do that and get their Rs account.

I have a bit of catching up with you then. ;-) Though I'm getting there. :-)

Thanks for your help.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport