We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Which compost

Does anyone know which compost is best for calla lilly i have the picasso and black star but not sure which compost i need to buy

Thanks x

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    The name Calla Lily was actually changed to Zantedeschia in the early 19th century, but you can probably work out why it stuck!

These are not the tough old things that I grow, but rather pernickity plants which need plenty of regular water, but not too much. They will be happy enough in a John Innes No3, with maybe a bit of added multipurpose and of course they'll need to be kept out of frost and strong winds.

The other thing that might bump them off soon as wink, is vine weevil larvae overwintering in the compost. They'll chomp anything with a rhizome (almost!)

My common or garden Zantedeschias grow anywhere. I have them in full sun and also sitting in deep shade in a stream. If you don't have much luck with the fancy ones, don't give up on the whole genus. The bog-standard ones are great.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,199 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Davesnave wrote: »
    My common or garden Zantedeschias grow anywhere. I have them in full sun and also sitting in deep shade in a stream. If you don't have much luck with the fancy ones, don't give up on the whole genus. The bog-standard ones are great.

Nicely pun Dave
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • toejumper
    toejumper Posts: 2,441 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Thanks Davesnave hubby bought me some of the posh ones last year for my birthday have them near the radiator in the living room at the moment but i want to transfer them into a nice pot, I also have the bog standard in the front garden which are doing well as for the vine weevil I've lost a few plants to these any advice how i can get rid of them
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Nematodes work really well, provided they are applied at the right time in autumn before the first frosts, though as you'll be protecting the plants anyway, that's less of an issue.

For susceptible plants, I often just replace the compost and throw the old stuff into a commercial sized microwave for 20 minutes.

The grubs make great fishing bait too!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport