Los Angeles Hotel needed

Options
Hi Everyone
I am travelling to LA next month and am really struggling to find a decent hotel, near travel links. I have never been there before and don't drive. Any suggestions would be most welcome, ideally I can not spend more than £100/120 per night. I checked all the major hotel comparison sites and nothing half way decent apprears. I am really at a loss and any help would be gratefully received.
Thank you
Zara

Comments

• richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 25 February 2016 at 11:46PM
    Options
    Since you don't drive you may consider getting around by rail http://media.metro.net/riding_metro/maps/images/rail_map.pdf and could search for somewhere to stay close to a station. Putting more specific locations in searches can sometimes give more results.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Zara77
    Zara77 Posts: 197 Forumite
    Options
    thank you I will have a look. Any other tips,would be great.
  • HHarry
    HHarry Posts: 883 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We stayed at the Chamberlain in West Hollywood which was beautiful - can't remember how much we paid, but I choose it because it was much cheaper than the alternatives in Santa Monica.

Can't remember how it was for transport links - we just strolled down the road and jumped on the hop on, hop off sightseeing bus.
  • Kernow666
    Kernow666 Posts: 3,480 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    if you are not driving try to get somewhere that is close to the metro train

Hollywood/highland area if you can

metro.net is the transport site and has maps

if you are a member of tripadvisor have a look at the Los Angeles forum there are loads of locals on there who answer questions and give great advice
    "If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane"
  • burnoutbabe
    burnoutbabe Posts: 1,338 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I stayed at the magic castle, which is just off Hollywood boulevard, just a short walk to where the oscars were held. Was so nice and friendly, free breakfast and a magician some mornings! they did your washing. And gave you free snacks. Very highly rated on tripadvisor.
  • Zara77
    Zara77 Posts: 197 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your help, we went with the magic castle. It looks great and we can use the metro. The help is very aprreciated and the tips.
    Any other tips would be great-like tickets for disney, universal and what to avoid doing?
  • John259
    John259 Posts: 1,085 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I can't offer any specific advice (sorry, in the USA I always rent a car, do road trips and use motels) but FWIW I'd advise spending some time on Google Maps seeing where places are and how spread out the Los Angeles area is. For example Disneyland is in Anaheim, which is a suburb (or "satellite city") over 30 miles from Hollywood: https://goo.gl/maps/1JyJWUZww2q

You can also drop into StreetView mode, view places and wander round. For example, here's the Magic Castle hotel: https://goo.gl/maps/39waebnqaYz
    To turn or tilt the camera, drag the image.
    To move, click the image.

Apologies if this tells you nothing new.
    "Such an enormous country, you realize when you cross it" - Jack Kerouac
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Zara77 wrote: »
    Thank you all so much for your help, we went with the magic castle. It looks great and we can use the metro. The help is very aprreciated and the tips.
    Any other tips would be great-like tickets for disney, universal and what to avoid doing?

Stayed there myself it was lovely, there is a lovely restaurant just up the hill overlooking hollywood
  • Jimmithecat
    Options
    Magic castle for me too - great place:beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills