Star Citizen (PC Only) Ship Commercials

edited 27 February 2016 at 8:31PM in Gaming MoneySaving
13 replies 3.4K views
Thomas_The_Tank_TopThomas_The_Tank_Top Forumite
239 Posts
edited 27 February 2016 at 8:31PM in Gaming MoneySaving
Star Citizen ship commercials (including a Top Gear parody). Thought y'all might like to see them:

First up, the Mustang. From Consolidated Outland

The Drake Cutlass. From Drake Interplantary

Top Gear Parody for Orion's M50 Racer

Constellation - Aquilla (Deep Space Exploration). I'm after the Carrick once its been released.

The Misc Freelancer (Exploration/Trading)

The Hornet "fast" fighter from Anvil Aerospace

The 2944 Aurora variants

The 300 series from Origin Jumpworks

Oh. And the HTC Vive will be taking pre-orders on 29th Feb.

Replies

• edited 6 August 2016 at 7:29PM
    239 Posts
    edited 6 August 2016 at 7:29PM
    Ships damage (which I believe is going to be unique to the different classes). This is the in game footage for the Idris Corvette (one of the capital ships).

• edited 7 August 2016 at 8:15PM
    NilremNilrem Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    Forumite
    edited 7 August 2016 at 8:15PM
    Before you get too excited about this it's worth noting that so far the game is in what is at best a pre-alpha stage and possibly many years away from release (if it ever gets that far).

I wouldn't touch the game with someone else's bargepole, at least until they've got a lot further along (at the moment they appear to be selling what is effectively pictures of the ships).

Seriously don't get excited about this game, and certainly don't spend any money on it at this point.

I'm saying this as someone who loves the idea of the game and very nearly backed it, but fortunately didn't have the spare cash at the time as I loved the Wing Commander series (especially Privateer). So for this project has rang pretty much every scam/over complicated project warning in my tiny brain :)
    It seems to be following the same development path as Diakatana and Duke Nukem Forever, but relying on funding from selling people ships and in game stuff when there is currently effectively no game (at least Duke and Diakatana was spending developers and publishers money).
  • this game will never be released.
  • edited 8 August 2016 at 9:03PM
    239 Posts
    edited 8 August 2016 at 9:03PM
    So. Neither of you have 2.4 on your PC right?

Coming along quite nicely.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15445-Around-The-Verse
  • NilremNilrem Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Forumite
    I haven't got 2.4 on my machine, but every other version I've seen has appeared to be broken beyond belief for a game that has been in dev this long and has only got a very small demo out. Some very fundamental issues appear to have been there for 6-12 months or more.

As I say, when it first appeared I was quite excited about it, but what I've heard about the company and development has rang an ever increasing number of alarms and increased my disbelief that the game will see the light of day in a usable manner for probably many years.

I almost backed it at Kickstarter, but given what has happened (and how both the goals and delivery date keep changing) I would have asked for a refund quite a while ago, as I have seen the same pattern with games in the past.
  • Thanks for the links & video. I'm backing when they get 2.5 out of the door.

If Chris Roberts actually cracks this, it will be totally awesome.

Nilrem currently the game is an Alpha release. People expect it to be broken!
  • Looking forward to the Squadron 42 release. Supposed to be this year sometime!

But yes. Happy with developments so far.
  • Johnmcl7Johnmcl7 Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thanks for the links & video. I'm backing when they get 2.5 out of the door.

If Chris Roberts actually cracks this, it will be totally awesome.

Nilrem currently the game is an Alpha release. People expect it to be broken!

It's an Alpha release nearly two years after the game was meant to have been released and is still in indefinite development, I think the comments are reasonable. I agree with the comments about development red flags particularly their 'crunchtime' claims and their ambitions, it's often caused the demise of a studio burning through too much money too quickly trying to achieve too much and never making it to the end even though the intentions were good.

That said, Star Citizen has an unusual funding model in that people are paying large sums of money even up to five figures and it doesn't seem unusual for people to keep increasing their donations to the game. Some of those five figure supporters are apparently happy with the it's done when it's done approach although on the other hand, there have been rounds of refunds for those whose patience has run out.

It doesn't bother me either way, I don't know if the 'can't afford it' comment is tongue in cheek or not but I'm not interested in investing money into an alpha release in indefinite development. I'll certainly have a look at the completed release but for now, there's plenty other titles to keep me entertained.

John
  • edited 10 August 2016 at 3:42AM
    NilremNilrem Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Forumite
    edited 10 August 2016 at 3:42AM
    Johnmcl7 wrote: »
    It's an Alpha release nearly two years after the game was meant to have been released and is still in indefinite development, I think the comments are reasonable. I agree with the comments about development red flags particularly their 'crunchtime' claims and their ambitions, it's often caused the demise of a studio burning through too much money too quickly trying to achieve too much and never making it to the end even though the intentions were good.

That's pretty much it.

The game is well past it's initial release window with no end in sight and more ideas being added to the queue that could/should really be added as extras in post release patches and updates.

I've been waiting nearly 20 years for a Privateer 2 successor, so if/when Star Citizen reaches actual release I'll probably buy it if it seems any good at all.

[edit]
    I'm quite patient with delays in kickstarter projects etc, if the delays are down to reasonable changes or issues (I've backed a bunch of projects that have had delays of one sort or another).
    Completely changing the scope of the project after launch and then not even having a full alpha (IIRC the SC alpha is basically one ship type, one base, and one star/planet) 2 years after the estimated release date would annoy me a lot.
  • Grassy_KnollingtonGrassy_Knollington Forumite
    126 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I'm a backer. I wonder what suprises CIG have in store for us at GamesCon in a couple of weeks?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Who can suggest a top-notch bed?

This Forumite's mattress is in need of a base

MSE Forum

Top theatre lotteries

How to grab £10-£25 tix for Cabaret, Matilda etc

MSE Deals