New car purchase - cancel

Options
MrZ01
MrZ01 Posts: 8 Forumite
edited 23 February 2016 at 10:59PM in Loans
In January we purchased a new car (factory order) and put down a £500 deposit with another £1000 to pay on delivery on a PCP contract. The initial lead time was 12 weeks so we expected to pick this up in April/May.

2 weeks ago we received notice that we would get a drop in income of about £500 a month. This coupled with a £300 monthly car payment would mean we would have £800 less disposable income than we do at current. Today I got an email that the car will be ready to pick up on 1st March (16 plate).

This is significantly earlier than expected and this car will now put strain on our future finances. The dealer has said that if the finance agreement is rejected we would get a refund. We will be left with only a couple hundred pounds each month after bills.

Due to the financial situation we really do not want the car as we rather have a bit more money to live on. Although I have signed a vehicle order form, I have not signed the financial paperwork. It is a factory standard vehicle with no extras.

I believe we do not have the legal right to cancel. Any advice please, I fear we will not enjoy the car because of this situation.

Comments

• lee111s
    lee111s Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    You can most likely cancel but you'll probably lose your £500.
  • MrZ01
    Options
    lee111s wrote: »
    You can most likely cancel but you'll probably lose your £500.

Not according to the dealer but he obviously wants the sale to complete.

Worth me attending face to face to cancel? Don't mind losing the £500 if it saves financial stress.
  • andyfromotley
    Options
    Obviously you can cancel the finance (or not sign). No idea if you can cancel the car. What does your paperwork say.
    £1000 Emergency fund No90 £1000/1000
    LBM 28/1/15 total debt - [STRIKE]£23,410[/STRIKE] 24/3/16 total debt - £7,298
    !
  • saverbuyer
    saverbuyer Posts: 2,556 Forumite
    Options
    Car and finance is separate. Depends on what the paperwork says but I'd say most likely you'll have to buy the car.
  • MrZ01
    Options
    saverbuyer wrote: »
    Car and finance is separate. Depends on what the paperwork says but I'd say most likely you'll have to buy the car.

I fear you are correct. There is no mention of cancellation rights nor any mention of cancelling at all (except for distance selling which doesn't apply here).

The only part of the T&C that I can see related to this situation is:

If the purchaser shall fail to take and pay for the goods within 14 days of notification that the goods have been completed for delivery, the Seller shall be at liberty to treat the contract as repudiated by the Purchaser and thereupon the deposit shall be forfeited without prejudice to the sellers right to recover from the Purchaser by way of damages any loss or expense which the Selller may suffer or incur by reason of the Purchaser's default.

However delivery doesn't complete until 1st March.
  • Brooker_Dave
    Options
    Kiss goodbye to the deposit, surely you can expect to walk away without losing it?
    "Love you Dave Brooker! x"

"i sent a letter headded sales of god act 1979"
  • MrZ01
    Options
    Kiss goodbye to the deposit, surely you can expect to walk away without losing it?

As mentioned, I don't mind losing the deposit. it's whether I can walk away.

I think I will go to the dealer today to speak to the manager.
  • SeanG79
    SeanG79 Posts: 977 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The dealer will probably tell you a lot but in reality they can only pursue you for their losses as a result of cancellation. If the vehicle has not been registered in your name yet, they can sell it on to someone else, so their actual losses will not be huge.

You will however lose the deposit.

Personally I would consider calling up the finance company to inform them of the reduction in income and change in circumstances, as a responsible lender they are likely to withdraw the finance offer before you sign documents.

Car dealers lose sales all the time, I am pretty sure they will settle for the £500 as much as they wont be happy about it.
  • MrZ01
    MrZ01 Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for your advise SeanG79. Speaking to the lender makes sense as this would cause the finance to be rejected. However having looked at the paperwork there are 6 different lenders that the dealer uses. I have nothing to say which lender will be used.

I'm guessing I have the right to know which lender will be used, can anyone confirm this?
  • SeanG79
    SeanG79 Posts: 977 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    well then the finance isn't even in place, so what will happen if you are declined? The dealer couldn't then force you to purchase the car if you have no finance.

The finance agreement you need to sign will clearly state who the lender is.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure