We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Registering a Business
khublaikhan
Posts: 112 Forumite
Hi All,
I have recently been made redundant but have an opportunity to work as a freelancer doing some legal reports for some solicitors.
I have been asked to register at Companies House as a limited company, for no other reason than for due diligence purposes and looking more professional.
I don't mind any of this but since this is a startup I do not wish to be entangled in any lengthy bureaucracy should it not take off.
Have done some google research and it does not seem to be too complicated but I want ask a couple of questions:
I have recently been made redundant but have an opportunity to work as a freelancer doing some legal reports for some solicitors.
I have been asked to register at Companies House as a limited company, for no other reason than for due diligence purposes and looking more professional.
I don't mind any of this but since this is a startup I do not wish to be entangled in any lengthy bureaucracy should it not take off.
Have done some google research and it does not seem to be too complicated but I want ask a couple of questions:
- I will be working from home initially until I can get some capital raised for premises, is this a problem for a registered company?
- Ho w easy it is it to unentangle and deregister the business should it not take off??
0
Comments
-
khublaikhan wrote: »Hi All,
I have recently been made redundant but have an opportunity to work as a freelancer doing some legal reports for some solicitors.
I have been asked to register at Companies House as a limited company, for no other reason than for due diligence purposes and looking more professional.
I don't mind any of this but since this is a startup I do not wish to be entangled in any lengthy bureaucracy should it not take off.
Have done some google research and it does not seem to be too complicated but I want ask a couple of questions:- I will be working from home initially until I can get some capital raised for premises, is this a problem for a registered company?
- Ho w easy it is it to unentangle and deregister the business should it not take off??
In answer to your numbered questions:
1. No, assuming (a) there are no restrictions attached to your home restricting this and (b) your client does not prohibit this. etc. But from a company point of view, no issues at all
2. As long as the company has not traded in the last 3 months, not changed names in the last 3 months, doesn't owe anyone any money (including CVAs etc) or is threatened with liquidation, you can get it struck off for £10 (which cannot come from an account linked to the company involved)0 -
Thanks for an informative reply - one last question - is it OK to trade using my personal bank account until the business gets on a more sound footing?
Thanks0 -
khublaikhan wrote: »Thanks for an informative reply - one last question - is it OK to trade using my personal bank account until the business gets on a more sound footing?
Thanks
Not for a limited company, no.
You are 2 different legal entities and will have 2 different names. Your solicitor clients will explain more I am sure if you don't understand this
0 -
Great - Appreciate the advice!0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards