Faulty Sonos 5 player

Options
HI,

I have a Sonos 5 wifi speaker that is 1.5 months out of warranty and its died.

the player cost £400 2 years ago and it was the top range one purchased from Currys.

Ive emailed Sonos to see what they say but from what ive read i should take it up with the retailer as the initial contract was with them.

What are my chances of getting it fixed for free or replaced ? Am i wasting my time even pursuing it as i cant imagine Currys will be any help ?

Thanks
Dave

Comments

• wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Dave71 wrote: »
    HI,

I have a Sonos 5 wifi speaker that is 1.5 months out of warranty and its died.

the player cost £400 2 years ago and it was the top range one purchased from Currys.

Ive emailed Sonos to see what they say but from what ive read i should take it up with the retailer as the initial contract was with them.

What are my chances of getting it fixed for free or replaced ? Am i wasting my time even pursuing it as i cant imagine Currys will be any help ?

Thanks
    Dave
    Start by reading MSE's Consumer Rights guide and them come back with any further questions.

You will see in there that you have up to six years to seek a remedy from Currys - but there are caveats.
  • AJXX
    AJXX Posts: 847 Forumite
    Options
    Ultimately it depends on how much time you're willing to put into it.

I'd suggest starting with a written letter to Currys quoting relevant parts of SOGA as a start and see how that goes. Keep the tone friendly and co-operative (don't go in all guns blazing threatening legal action at this point).

Remember though they're perfectly entitle to get you to commission an independent engineer report etc...
  • Dave71_2
    Options
    cheers for the replies.

So i am right that even at just over two years old i should be taking it up with Currys as opposed to sonos ?

Will make an approach to the store i got it from tomorrow and then start the ball rolling. I may as well follow it through to the end as i need a player and dont want to be forking out again on something that may only last a couple of years :(
  • AJXX
    AJXX Posts: 847 Forumite
    Options
    cheers for the replies.

So i am right that even at just over two years old i should be taking it up with Currys as opposed to sonos ?

Will make an approach to the store i got it from tomorrow and then start the ball rolling. I may as well follow it through to the end as i need a player and dont want to be forking out again on something that may only last a couple of years :(

Yes your contract is with Currys, not Sonos. For what it's worth I'd expect a £400 speaker system to last more than 2 years.

The problem here is Currys are not exactly known for great customer service or wanting to help.

You can try by all means with the local store, but I'd say you'll get further with their head office vs local store.
  • naedanger
    naedanger Posts: 3,102 Forumite
    Options

Yes. Legally your complaint is that Currys sold you an item that was not of satisfactory quality when you bought it. (Not being of satisfactory quality includes not being sufficiently durable given what would reasonably be expected.)

However the onus in on you to show (on the balance of probability) that the problem (e.g. not being sufficiently durable) existed when you bought the item and did not arise later (e.g. through misuse). This is why Currys may ask you to get an independent report.

The advice given by others is what I would do - i.e. polite letter to their HO explaining you believe they sold you an item that was not of satisfactory quality because it only lasted x months through normal usage and asking them how they propose to remedy the matter as required under the SOGA. (Currys can offer to repair, replace or offer a partial refund. They may also ask you to justify your claim e.g. by obtaining an independent report. But I would wait to hear what they say first.)
  • SuperHan
    SuperHan Posts: 2,269 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Did you buy it from Currys?

The timeline makes it sound as though you bought it 2nd hand at 6 months old (you paid for it 2 years ago, but it's 1.5 years out of warranty, and I assume it had a standard 12m warranty)...

I only ask, as this may affect your position with Currys, as to claim under SoGA it would need to be you who made the purchase.
  • naedanger
    naedanger Posts: 3,102 Forumite
    Options
    SuperHan wrote: »
    Did you buy it from Currys?

The timeline makes it sound as though you bought it 2nd hand at 6 months old (you paid for it 2 years ago, but it's 1.5 years out of warranty, and I assume it had a standard 12m warranty)...

I only ask, as this may affect your position with Currys, as to claim under SoGA it would need to be you who made the purchase.

The op said 1.5 months out of warranty. So, I think, bought as new from Currys 25.5 months ago with 2 year warranty.
  • Dave71_2
    Options
    Sorry, yes i bought it brand new from Currys and its now 1.5 months out of warranty.

However i chanced my arm with an email to Sonos last night and they have replied very favourably and though its not confirmed until i have a new unit in my hands it appears that they will take back the old unit and replace it straight away :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure